Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

New Oil Pan Gets Us Back on the Road - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Audi
imageNew Oil Pan Gets Us Back on the Road - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

We left our 2015 Audi A3 with a busted oil pan at the only Audi dealer in Idaho. I flew to Boise to pick it up and bring it home.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Thanks for the breakdown. Ouch! $750 huh? Seems like a lot of money, but I guess you shouldn't put in aftermarket parts for something like that.
  • Options
    miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    OUCH! But just imagine what it'd cost if that was a cast aluminum pan...
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Thought the belly pan got trashed, too - ? What happened with that?
  • Options
    rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    Really not a terrible price all things considering. Most would file an insurance claim for something like this so depending on your deductible, it might not sting too bad. Until renewal time that is...
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2015
    This falls below our deductible, I think, so it's out of pocket. Well, I can't say that for sure but that would certainly be the case with my own home auto policy and my own personal cars.

I think oil pan baffle is a weird name for the belly pan, with oil sump being the oil pan itself - the damaged part in the photo. The only major addition from the original quote was the oil and filter, which are totally understandable after this unplanned draining incident.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

This falls below our deductible, I think, so it's out of pocket. Well, I can't say that for sure but that would certainly be the case with my own home auto policy and my own personal cars.

I think oil pan baffle is a weird name for the belly pan, with oil sump being the oil pan itself - the damaged part in the photo. The only major addition from the original quote was the oil and filter, which are totally understandable after this unplanned draining incident.

I see...they're calling it a baffle..ok, thanks.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,465
    Overall not bad. Anytime you can get out of a German Car Dealer Service Department for under $1K, you should consider yourself lucky. How much was the 1 way ticket back to Boise & the hotel stay? $6.82 for an oil drain plug & $36.26 for a gasket seems a bit excessive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I don't know about the drain plug, but the gasket, I think, is that serpentine o-ring-looking thing you see running around the perimeter of the pan in the second shot. Kind of a weird part.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test