Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Swapping Summer Tires for a Summer Showdown - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Dodge
imageSwapping Summer Tires for a Summer Showdown - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

What's it cost to install a set of maximum performance summer tires on a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8? Quite a bit, actually.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited July 2015
    Wow, a 76% increase in price for 10mm more width. Personally I would love to see you pick up 2 more of the 245/45's and compare performance with those on the back vs to 255/45's.

And I pick Viper.
  • Options
    chase300chase300 Member Posts: 6
    Agree, most would have stuck with the same 245's on the rear..plus the small diameter would help acceleration.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    I had a few sets of the F1 Supercar tires and I hated them. They lost traction very quickly and did not do well in the rain (important for South Florida). You should have ponied up the $$$ for the Michelin Pilot PS2s. They are worth every penny.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    > You should have ponied up the $$$ for the Michelin Pilot PS2s. They are worth every penny.

No matter how often we tell them this, Edmunds guys just keep buying junk replacement tires for some reason.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch, almost $1,200 for tires. You could buy a running Yugo for that!
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Well, I doubt the F1 tires (220 treadwear) are going to last long during heavy testing. You'll be installing either new or those old tires soon enough.
  • Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Your price is pretty close to what they go for on tirerack.com but I'd agree that for the approximately extra $150 for the set the Pilot Super Sport would be a much better choice.

I've run a set of recent Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the Asymmetric 2 version that came OEM on my '13 Focus ST and they were far from being a bad choice of tire. They were pretty quiet, wore really well (over 30k miles on the set and still reasonable life when the car was sold), good in rain, quiet, and decent dry grip that seemed predictable. Downsides include being a little on the heavy side by manufacturer specs and road feel, precision and ultimate grip only about mid-pack.

The F1 Supercar wasn't a bad tire when new and if I recall was OEM on the SRT-8, so if you're planning a comparison test would be a good choice to see how the car performs now on fresh rubber as to what it did new (and against whatever car you pit it against which I'm guessing might be the new R/T with the 392 as it represents similar performance for inflation adjusted pricing). This tire still seems to grip okay in a straight line which is where this car excels, but treadwear *and* ultimate grip have improved quite a bit since it came out. Definitely not my choice but I could see why you went with them for testing reasons.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    The PSS are VERY tough to beat.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    In keeping with the general theme of the Millennial project, you would have been better off selecting the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2. Price for a full-set would have been half of what you paid for the Goodyears and the performance would have been similar.