Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 BMW 3-series Road Test Comments - Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in BMW

Comments

• Options
    autopalautopal Member Posts: 13
    I have been waiting on this review for a while. I wonder if the writer of this article could say how the sound of the exhaust compares to the one in the C450 amg sport?
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    closest competitors: why not mention the jaguar xe? motortrend picked the '17 xe S over the '15 335i M-sport.
  • Options
    jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    The ATS 2.0 is still a better handler.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    More of the same 3 series press introduction. Auto journalists gush over the 340i ///M Sport 6 speed cars in the press fleet. No mention of the fact that these cars don't exist in the real world (without a 12 week order) and most 340i cars sitting on dealer lots have a $60K sticker attached to them.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    thisnonamethisnoname Member Posts: 1
    A six-speed manual transmission is available on all models except the 328d.
    Does ALL include 328 Wagon?
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I'm curious to read more about what BMW has really changed about this engine versus the previous year. It's long been known that the 3.0L Turbo is/was underrated at 300hp. BMW could legitimately up its rating on paper to 320hp and be in line with most other automakers. The rated 0-60 time of 4.8s is faster than Edmunds test of the 2015 335i model at 5.4s, though... unless that difference is attributable to different testing methods?
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    Is it just me or does the front bumper seem higher??
  • Options
    adityabadityab Member Posts: 2
    Like most people here, I've been scanning the news since May for this review. Was hoping to see a title like "the king is back," but it sounds like BMW under-delivered relative to enthusiasts' hopes. Time to go kiss my E90!
  • Options
    ttdrivettdrive Member Posts: 12
    "The upper-level models also offer a Luxury Line trim and a revised M Sport trim package that includes a sport suspension to go with a unique body kit and steering wheel."

What is revised is the M Sport pkg? From what I've read the Msport pkg is the same as before went it was introduced for the 2013 model year. I have one.

Also, in one of your paragraphs you note that the adaptive suspension comes "standard" in the 340i.
    NO, it does not. To get the M-adaptive suspension you have to get either the M-sport or the "track package".
    With M-sport you can add M-adaptive as a $700 option. With the "track package" M-adaptive is included.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

More of the same 3 series press introduction. Auto journalists gush over the 340i ///M Sport 6 speed cars in the press fleet. No mention of the fact that these cars don't exist in the real world (without a 12 week order) and most 340i cars sitting on dealer lots have a $60K sticker attached to them.

I've read all the pre release journalist reviews are other then mentioning they would prefer a manual trans, non have been "gushing" in the least. In fact, most barely mention it but in passing.
    All pre release 340i's have been the stanadard 340i with the 'track package', and all have the revised 8spd sport automatic, as the sport AT comes standard now where it used to be a $500 option.

There are NO 340i cars sitting on US dealer lots. That's simply not true, because the 340i's haven't come in yet.
    If you want to order a manual trans 340i you can do so and it usually takes only 60 days to come from build to delivery. Or, you can talk to a dealer who may be able to modify a 340i that's slated for production, that too will take about 8 weeks, maybe a week less depending on when the dealer can catch the production.
    It is very rare for an ordered BMW 3 series to take longer than 8 weeks. It happens, but that is not the norm.

$60K+ 3 series cars on dealer lots are barely possible. At price price point nearly every option is included along with x-drive, and that just doesn't exit in any quantity so as to be "most" 3 series on dealer lots.
    You're just spewing hyperbole, as it seems you don't know what you're talking about, with all due respect of course. :)
  • Options
    Here is the comment in the article that is incorrect:
    "These various modes also alter the sensitivity of the accelerator, the speed of the gearshifts and the feel of the adaptive suspension that comes standard on the 340i".

Please see my other post explaining why that statement is incorrect.
    The cars provided for testing were all optioned the same way, but they are not examples of "standard" 340i's.
    The test/press cars have the "Track package" that includes the adaptive suspension, it does not come standard.
  • Options
    adityab said:

Like most people here, I've been scanning the news since May for this review. Was hoping to see a title like "the king is back," but it sounds like BMW under-delivered relative to enthusiasts' hopes. Time to go kiss my E90!

Since the pre LCI F30 was actually quite well regarded, BMW wasn't going to come with a new 3 series this early. They didn't need to. They needed to refine it a bit more by fixing the suspension and addressing the steering. From all of the available world wide reviews it seems the steering isn't much different, though most think it's better. The suspension and handling improvement have been widely praised.
    The auto trans tweaks have also been very highly praised.
    Then there is a unanimously loved new 3.0 turbo, which wasn't needed, but here it is.

If you love your E90 that's great.
    But, to falsely claim the F30 isn't great is simply not true. Other than the steering on the E90 the F30 is it's superior in every way, along with being much much better looking outside, and vastly nicer compared to the quite ugly flat expanse of the E90.
    Opinion on style vary, but on measurable performance the F30 dominates the E90.