Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Competes With Everything - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Ford
imageCompetes With Everything - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Previous Mustangs arguably weren't cool enough to cross segment lines, but the new 2015 Ford Mustang is so good that it competes with everything.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Really excellent post, Josh. Much appreciated.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    DeLorean for LT fleet! Make it so! :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    DeLorean? Man, that takes me back a few years.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    Great post Josh. I enjoy this car on my commute home and I adore it on a fun road to anywhere. Grin per dollar factor is strong with this one.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2015
    anything ELSE bad to say about my car???

i happen to like the back end of my car AND curvy roads!

(since gone with different wheels and spoiler delete.)

DSC_2128eB&W
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2015
    @s197gt

I am pleased to note that your rear side windows are not "weirdly high and wrong." :)

-JS
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited July 2015
    s197gt said:

anything ELSE bad to say about my car???

i happen to like the back end of my car AND curvy roads!

(since gone with different wheels and spoiler delete.)

DSC_2128eB&W

I'm with you, the new one is OK, but looks very heavy in the rear to me. I was struck when your model came out, still like its looks.

As for black wheels, I agree with the post - why bother? Eliminates a major styling element.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I'm not big on the current styling either. Mustangs have always been very "macho" looking cars. The current one looks very svelte, or perhaps feline is the word I'm looking for. OK for a Jag, Aston, or BMW, but it looks wrong on a Mustang.

I wouldn't be too happy if every other rental car I saw was my personal car, either. It's just going to dilute the Mustang's image.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    I need to move somewhere with better roads.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    ebeaudoin said:

Really excellent post, Josh. Much appreciated.

Agreed - love this!
  • morrobayboymorrobayboy Member Posts: 1
    Great post; and consider this. Take exact same GT, then: install Eibach Pro springs, Advanti wheels 11 lbs./wheel lighter than OEM, FordRacing cat-back exhaust, tighter shift linkage, and anti-wheel hop linkage. I'm a geezer, but this package is big fun; and takes the TrackPack equipped GT to another level. Best driving car I've ever owned.
  • nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    Great post, and I agree the new Mustang goes beyond the traditional pony/muscle car genre. So, with this in mind, how do you think it compares to the Lexus RC-F in the long-term fleet? I also wonder how the GT with Performance Pack compares to the M4.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2015
    nedmundo - I've asked this question on literally every Stang post. No response. I think they are worried the manufacturers will not lend them cars if they do comparos like that?

morrobayboy - I'm considering a Corsa exhaust, lighter wheels+PSS, BMR cradle support kits+Steeda G trac brace and toe/vertical linkages to take the handling to the next level. The wheels and exhaust will drop close to 100 pounds. The car handles so well as it is I cant imagine what these mods will do. I want to get more time in with the stock configuration at auto-x before doing those mods.

Longer terms I might consider shocks/springs (FRPP assembled handling pack comes to mind) or coil overs but I'm reluctant to drop the car. Also, a tune and a lithium battery!
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I'm totally not a fan of Ford cars, but I really like the design of the new Mustang. I like the more "feline" style.
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @nedmundo @defyant15

Exactly. Reasonable people will disagree about whether the new Mustang is really in the RC F/M4 league, but the point is that it's a legitimate question now. It never was before. Another interesting example is the Audi S5. Wait till the GT350 drops, by the way; that one could really shake things up.

-JS
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I could not agree more about the wheels. The required black wheels are reason enough for me to avoid the sport package. I suppose I could probably negotiate something with a dealer to trade them for something else.