Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ponderous Handling in Tahoe Curves - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Ford
imagePonderous Handling in Tahoe Curves - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds takes its long-term 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost 2.7 on a road trip to Lake Tahoe for a beach wedding and mountain biking.

Read the full story here

Comments

• oldparnelloldparnell Member Posts: 37
    Clever journalist - "ponderous", "ponderorosa pines"....
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    I've been a critic of the ecoboost engines, but 18.6 mpg on this trip is starting to get into competitive territory. If this continues, I may even stop comparing the 2.7 TT to my reliable and more efficient 5.4...
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    No comment on how turbos blow away every NA car and truck in the mountains? Almost 19MPG when climbing grades in the mountains seems incredible taking into account how much power at high altitudes the EB has. The Ram would have been holding up traffic for miles.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    handbrake said:

I've been a critic of the ecoboost engines, but 18.6 mpg on this trip is starting to get into competitive territory. If this continues, I may even stop comparing the 2.7 TT to my reliable and more efficient 5.4...

My 5.4L 2010 Platinum never hit 18.6 ever. My 2015 3.5EB is averaging 19.6 over its lifetime. You can keep your 5.4L. And you can have my old one too.
    My 09 5.4 XLT 4x4 consistently hit over 19 mpg in stock configuration. I am happy to keep my truck if all you can do with the 3.5 EB is roughly the same MPG for considerably higher maintenance.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    handbrake said:

My 09 5.4 XLT 4x4 consistently hit over 19 mpg in stock configuration. I am happy to keep my truck if all you can do with the 3.5 EB is roughly the same MPG for considerably higher maintenance.

Well My 2010 Supercrew Platinum averaged 16.4 over my ownership period of 135,000 so my single variable differential (same driver, same terrain, different vehicle) is a 20% improvement in fuel mileage, with better acceleration. Let's agree that 2 people driving the same vehicle will rarely get the same gas mileage. My best tank so far is 22.5 and worst (towing 7,000lbs) was 14.1. The last 8 tanks have gotten 20 or better. For me that's a nice improvement. On a sidenote, your 19MPG is a statistical aberration based on the data at truedelta.com where only 3% of responses for a 2009 F150 4WD with 5.4L get 19MPG or better and the most common responses are 15-17MPG. This is truly why people say YMMV.

My observations of our company fleet (we have 5 ecoboost Ford trucks right now and started buying them in 2012) is that there is no higher cost of maintenance for an ecoboost V6 than a V8. Only 3 years of data, so time will tell......
    500rwhp said:

handbrake said:

Well My 2010 Supercrew Platinum averaged 16.4 over my ownership period of 135,000 so my single variable differential (same driver, same terrain, different vehicle) is a 20% improvement in fuel mileage, with better acceleration. Let's agree that 2 people driving the same vehicle will rarely get the same gas mileage. My best tank so far is 22.5 and worst (towing 7,000lbs) was 14.1. The last 8 tanks have gotten 20 or better. For me that's a nice improvement. On a sidenote, your 19MPG is a statistical aberration based on the data at truedelta.com where only 3% of responses for a 2009 F150 4WD with 5.4L get 19MPG or better and the most common responses are 15-17MPG. This is truly why people say YMMV.

My observations of our company fleet (we have 5 ecoboost Ford trucks right now and started buying them in 2012) is that there is no higher cost of maintenance for an ecoboost V6 than a V8. Only 3 years of data, so time will tell......
    No doubt that YMMV is the key here. Like I said in my original comment, I'm very happy to see the 2.7 EB delivering better MPGs. One of the only things holding me back from trading the old 09 in for a new truck is my concern with the reality of the 2.7 EB (the local Ford dealer gave me a really compelling quote for a trade in on a new truck with the 2.7). If the 2.7 continues to show improvement in the Edmunds test, I likely will trade in for one.

As for my mileage, though, I don't use my truck as a daily driver. I use it primarily as a hunting vehicle. I live in an urban area and drive about 3-4 hours each way to get to the areas where I hunt. Those trips usually are 90% freeway and 10% offroad. It's a rare time when I'm driving the truck in city or mixed use. So the combination of the 5.4 and the 6 speed auto on long freeway trips is why I get 19+ mpg.
  • djsl1djsl1 Member Posts: 1
    5.4 motor is garbage simply put!!! It has way too many issues and is not reliable. Half the ones I know that are on the road sound like clocks with there ticking noise.