Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

The Cost of Fun - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet
imageThe Cost of Fun - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

We spent an afternoon at the track in our 1966 Chevrolet Corvette, drifting and sliding it for photos and video. Now it needs new tires.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Why not a classic-look radial?
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    adamb1 said:

Seconded.
  • Options
    saskman02saskman02 Member Posts: 3
    ebeaudoin said:

adamb1 said:

Seconded.
    Thirded
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    saskman02 said:

ebeaudoin said:

adamb1 said:

Seconded.
    Thirded
    4th'ed?

What a wasted chance to compare radial vs ply.

• Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    edited August 2015
    Can I say fifth (or maybe sixth or seventh by the time this gets through)??? Would have been a perfect opportunity to show what a difference upgraded tires make to an older classic. It also would have made a good excuse to test and track it again on the newer tire design.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,730
    Edmunds has previously said they're not gonna update the Vette in any way. So I guess I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited August 2015
    I made a comment about the tires on the post about '66 Corvette vs Camry (which now has no comments for some reason) and Dan replied that they couldn't find a modern radial in the correct size that would fit within the narrow stock wheels and also within the wheel wells.

Now as the owner of a classic MGB with very narrow (4" I believe) factory 14" knock off wires, I can attest to how difficult it is to find tires. That said, the choices are limited, not zero. This car doesn't need performance radials. A pedestrian set of 1980's Camry level all season's would still be a major upgrade over the original bias plies.
  • Options
    I found Dan's explanation: "Yeah, but the trouble is, the only tire that will fit without modifications is a 205. That bodywork wasn't designed with wide tires in mind, which is one of the main reasons the C2 only lasted 5 years, the shortest-lived Corvette generation. In fact it was supposed to be 4 years, but the C3 was delayed at the outset. The C3 has essentially the same frame, but with radically different (and more accommodating) bodywork and fenders."
  • Options
    And Coker does sell a compatible radial redline, the BF Goodrich Silvertown Classic, in a 205/75-15. On a non-concours quality level car like this, going with the bias ply is just a silly affectation.
  • Options
    texases said:

Edmunds has previously said they're not gonna update the Vette in any way. So I guess I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

They spent 2500 dollars on side pipes, But getting modern tires, well that's a bridge to far?
  • Options

And Coker does sell a compatible radial redline, the BF Goodrich Silvertown Classic, in a 205/75-15. On a non-concours quality level car like this, going with the bias ply is just a silly affectation.

For lulz & testing they could have bought some radials on tirerack, sure they'd be missing the redline, but the highest cost a/s is ~340 +shipping for a set of 4.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    Wow those tires are skinny! I guess I never really looked closely at them before.
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Stoopid - and unsafe - to keep sticking bias-ply tires on it when radials area available.

Are they also putting oils and gasoline from the '60s in that Corvette? Heck no!
    Then why do the same with the tires.
  • Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    I'd love to see this car tested with radials since all the bias ply numbers are documented...