Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Be careful transporting liquids in the trunk (there are electronics below it)

zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
edited August 2015 in BMW
Just read an odd story. Someone with a 2014 528 had a five gallon bottle of water in his trunk. Somehow it leak out in the trunk.

Here is the kicker, it damaged the electronics under the truck to the tune of $8,000.00. Yes, there are apparently electronics below the trunk. BMW refused to cover the damages under the warranty because it was caused by the owner's negligence. (I agree with them). The person is now putting the claim through his insurance company. Now I am going to thing twice
BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
Tagged:

Comments

• zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    before putting liquids in the trunk that are not secured.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    Interesting. Two cars I've test driven recently have had Bose subwoofers in the trunk (really the rear hatch) that rest inside the spacesaver tire. My wife is notorious for hauling plants around and spilling water when doing so.

Kind of like this:

Reminds me of those Audi cupholders in the dash that would allow spilled drinks to zap the expensive MMI interface in the dash.
    yeah, I remember it well. I once had an A8.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
  • adelson8458adelson8458 Member Posts: 2
    zoombie99 said:

Just read an odd story. Someone with a 2014 528 had a five gallon bottle of water in his trunk. Somehow it leak out in the trunk.

Here is the kicker, it damaged the electronics under the truck to the tune of $8,000.00. Yes, there are apparently electronics below the trunk. BMW refused to cover the damages under the warranty because it was caused by the owner's negligence. (I agree with them). The person is now putting the claim through his insurance company. Now I am going to thing twice

• adelson8458adelson8458 Member Posts: 2
    after i bought my car i found standind water in battery well and park break well under the spare tire it blew eelectric system first time i got a bill were parts more exp.then labor $6000 dealer paid 2/3 due to new purchase 5 days before

after i bought my car i found standind water in battery well and park break well under the spare tire it blew eelectric system first time i got a bill were parts more exp.then labor $6000 dealer paid 2/3 due to new purchase 5 days before

wow
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone