Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for July - Long Legs Shatter Old Records - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Volkswagen
imageFuel Economy Update for July - Long Legs Shatter Old Records - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

We put extensive mileage on our long-term 2015 Volkswagen GTI in July, set new records and continued our love affair with this unique hatchback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Take note Ford, a turbo-4 that actually delivers good power AND good fuel economy and beats its EPA ratings.
  • Options
    boobylortezboobylortez Member Posts: 5
    That means the manual with its taller gears would likely have been in the 40s.
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2015
    I'm just curious at what average speed are getting 38.5 mpg??? 55mph??
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Perhaps the best real-world practical enthusiast vehicle ever.
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    For about 75 miles we were restricted to 45-55 mph speed limits But for the remaining 400 miles we were on a major highway doing about 65 mph in the slow lane.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    This does not surprise me. My long gone Volvo S60 2.5 with the low pressure turbo would get 32 mpg going to LA and back from Las Vegas with the cruise set at 75 and the A/C on all day. If you are the kind of driver who insists on driving in surges (cruise control refusniks, as I call them) , then you won't get this kind of mileage. Drive at a sensible speed using the cruise so that the turbo boost is about neutral and you can get great mileage.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    This car gets great mileage because it's engine is strong enough and the car is light enough that it doesn't have to always rely on the turbo. Stay off the boost in any turbocharged car/truck and you'll get good mileage.
  • Options
    millemanmilleman Member Posts: 19
    65mph in the Mk7 is 2100rpm, so high-30s mpg is believable. Even if it's on boost some times to pull such tall gearing, that's offset by only 2000cc pumping air at such low rpm, 3000 lbs and moderate frontal area.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    I don't use cruise control on my 05 Escape V6 FWD and easily average 24 mpg with my route biased toward highway (about 20% city). The route includes many hills that would require downshifts to climb but I drive it in a manner that avoids the need to downshift. My average highway speed is 65mph; 5 mph over the speed limit.
    What I'm getting at is its not what you drive but how you drive it that counts.
  • Options
    rimsky55rimsky55 Member Posts: 16
    Curious to see if the new engine has the same oil consumption issue as the older 2.0 liter turbo.
  • Options
    ndahindahi Member Posts: 7
    If only VW will bring over their GTD so we can enjoy a diesel powered GTI. On my 2010 TDI have averaged 45.9 MPG in mixed 70/30 fry/street driving. I would love to get a GTD to have both mileage and performance.