Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Raised Rear Seats Yield Massive Cab Storage - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Ford
imageRaised Rear Seats Yield Massive Cab Storage - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

This update to Edmunds' long-term 2015 Ford F-150 details the truck's large in-cab cargo area.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited August 2015
    Not surprising. The Ford Expedition is basically a F-150 with a covered bed and a extra seat.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I have a 2013 F-150 Supercrew. Great on room. One complaint I do have is with the jack and tire iron location. To get it, the seats have to be raised up, loosen the two nuts on the passenger side rear, lift out the tray under the driver's side rear seat, pull the case from inside the hideyhole, flip 90 degrees, and lift out. If it's broad daylight, you aren't in a hurry, etc. no big deal. But throw in things like a loaded cab, dark night, bad weather, or in a hurry, and it starts to go down hill. I had to look in the owner's manual to find the thing to begin with. And the case packaging is another deal. The first time, it took me a little while to work out the jig saw puzzle to get it to close to put it back. Ford isn't the only one guilty of this. Ram hides theirs under the front passenger seat.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

If it's broad daylight, you aren't in a hurry, etc. no big deal. But throw in things like a loaded cab, dark night, bad weather, or in a hurry, and it starts to go down hill.

That's right. Most people tend to get flat tires when it's not convenient for them, which stinks when finding the jack could be described as a magic trick or miracle.

• Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52

I have a 2013 F-150 Supercrew. Great on room. One complaint I do have is with the jack and tire iron location. To get it, the seats have to be raised up, loosen the two nuts on the passenger side rear, lift out the tray under the driver's side rear seat, pull the case from inside the hideyhole, flip 90 degrees, and lift out. If it's broad daylight, you aren't in a hurry, etc. no big deal. But throw in things like a loaded cab, dark night, bad weather, or in a hurry, and it starts to go down hill. I had to look in the owner's manual to find the thing to begin with. And the case packaging is another deal. The first time, it took me a little while to work out the jig saw puzzle to get it to close to put it back. Ford isn't the only one guilty of this. Ram hides theirs under the front passenger seat.

If I had a truck I'd carry a floor jack or a hi-lift jack with me at all times. The scissor jacks most cars come with are junk to begin with and are a pain to remove or replace.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's another 30 pounds to carry around to weigh on your gas mileage just for the occasional use. Not as bad as my friend who carried a spare engine around in the bed of his Toyota though....
  • Options
    30 lbs is inconsequential when the vehicle weighs 5,000lbs. Its worth the 'sacrifice.'
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    jfa1177 said:

30 lbs is inconsequential when the vehicle weighs 5,000lbs. Its worth the 'sacrifice.'

Not worth the sacrifice of having a floor jack or high-lift(!) taking up space in the cab and rattling around... At least not to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I'd keep it in the bed, inside a toolbox most likely, if it were me.
    It would have to be an under the rail box though! :D