Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Monterey Car Week - L.A. to Watsonville - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Yugo
Monterey Car Week - L.A. to Watsonville - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Moment of truth: our 1989 Yugo GVL leaves Los Angeles and heads north for Monterey Car Week. Would it make it to Watsonville? Our confidence wasn't sky-high.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "Mark and I decided to press our luck the following morning and drive the Balkan Bullet to The Quail — "A Motorsports Gathering."

I never thought I'd get sucked into a Yugo cliff hanger!
  • Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    This Yugo is clearly getting it done.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Loving the updates. I'm waiting for some catastrophic mechanical failure, but it seems to be about as reliable as the Mercedes AMG that parasitized the Edmunds pocketbook not long ago.

I'm assuming the decision to register in Michigan largely hinged on avoiding CA smog tests that the Yugo probably wouldn't pass?
  • Options
    SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    emajor said:

I'm assuming the decision to register in Michigan largely hinged on avoiding CA smog tests that the Yugo probably wouldn't pass?

My theory is that the Michigan blue just pops a little more against the white paint. But you'd have to ask Ed.

-JS
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    It's a fine looking automobile, it truly would be a shame to ruin that with a plate that didn't mesh.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2015
    Also, we don't have to run a front plate that would otherwise disturb the finely-honed aerodynamics and bespoil the the front three-quarter view of the Giugiaro-penned styling.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    I love these Yugo updates. By far the most interesting and entertaining long term car in Edmunds fleet. Keep them coming, please! Thanks!
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    All of the Edmunds cars should be registered in Michigan if for no other reason than to avoid the front tag requirement.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I figured the Michigan plates were a poke in the eye as if to say, "Hey, Big Three, how many of YOUR 26-year-old econoboxes still run?"