Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Right Size and Speed for the Road to Wine Country - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Audi
imageRight Size and Speed for the Road to Wine Country - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

It was a simple mission. Take the 2015 Audi A3, drive up north on California's famous Pacific Coast Highway, visit wine country, and see as much as possible in four days.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    I agree with you; the A3 is a better looking car than the A4. The interior is a very clean and uncluttered which I think is refreshing. It doesn't seem to be intrusive as most interiors. (think Ford Focus, ). Nor is it gimmicky and over-styled like the current crop of BMWs. The new TT has a great interior as well.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are the "mirroring" options you asked about. I hope they will make factory nav essentially obsolete.
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    I haven't used Audi's nav, but if it's worse than Google Maps, it must be truly abysmal. I think built-in nav usually costs too much, even when it's a marginal-cost add-on to an existing info screen system, but I haven't yet found a smart phone nav app, especially one with offline maps for when you have spotty service, that is superior to even a $100 portable Garmin--which is my benchmark for the systems I've used so far. Data entry for built-in systems is usually deliberately compromised to prevent use while driving.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    @BC1960- more to your point, from what I have read in several publications navigation systems will actually hurt the resale value. This stems from the lack of updates once the newer models come out.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch.
  • Options
    banker43banker43 Member Posts: 3
    Of course the A3 seems to have a design edge over the A4. The A4 is a seven year old model! Don't forget though, the A4 has a true, fully mechanical all wheel drive system that is available with a manual transmission. Drive often enough in snow country and the difference is definitely noticeable. Current discounts on the A4 make it the same price or less than the A3.
  • Options
    gkw4815gkw4815 Member Posts: 2
    Availability of Android Auto and CarPlay was one of the deciding factors leading me to pick a GTI over an A3 or S3.

It's delightfully ironic that:
    -Not only does VW, the "cheap brand" get Android Auto and CarPlay functionality at least a year ahead of Audi.
    -When Audi finally adds this functionality, it will be awkwardly implemented b/c of Audi's dogged resistance to touch screens.