Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Service A at 10,000 Miles - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageService A at 10,000 Miles - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 went in for its first service appointment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Yikes, a $230 oil change. Welcome to the wonderful world of 'luxury' car ownership.

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Oh silly Edmunds, why did you choose the "small" package that "only" cost $230 when you could've given us a REAL laugh at what the "large" service package offered is. Yeah, everything needs to be replaced at 10k miles...

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

It would be nice if you mentioned what their hourly rate is. Because what they did is pretty much what Valvoline does, in 15 minutes, for $45.
    So, is the dealership billing you at $400/ hour?

• bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47

So I asked about the price when I was getting CLA. They mentioned that the list price for the cartridge oil filter is about $110. So DYI would be about $150 only in oil / filter (no labor). This way $230 is quite reasonable. I actually got the 4 services package for $900 when I got the car (the 20K and 40K is more like $450 since they change other things as well).

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

That's actually not a bad price for an MB A-service. My wife's E-Class had another A recently and it was $340. Glad to see CLA buyers are getting at least a bit of a discount.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

"So I asked about the price when I was getting CLA. They mentioned that the list price for the cartridge oil filter is about $110..." They told you that, did they? Well, at AutohausAZ.com, you can get it - the official M-B part - for $13.92. Or you can get the Mann-branded one (Mann makes the M-B OEM filter...) for about $11 on ebay, among other places.

The crush washer costs a quarter. Car takes just under six quarts of synthetic oil.

Fluid top-offs? What kind of fluid top-offs, besides washer fluid, does a car with 11,000 miles on it need? Do you really think there many safety-related parts that have crapped out in that number of miles?

There is a sucker born every minute.

mercedesfan, the fact that the E-Class service was $110 more than this car, for the same items, is proof that M-B absolutely, positively keyed those prices to what the market will bear...cost of parts and labor by the flat rate book had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Yeah, such a deal.

@fordson1, You're certainly not wrong. However, that is simply par for the course for luxury brands. Aside from Cadillac, they all charge ridiculous fees for basic services. However, you do get a few perks for that exorbitant sum. The most convenient being the free loaner car. Those perks certainly don't justify the upcharge, but they do soften the blow a little. Either way, it is what it is. You gotta pay to play. Cars are hardly the only luxury good that makes you pay for the "privilege". If you love the car and have the money it isn't a big deal.

"You gotta pay to play. Cars are hardly the only luxury good that makes you pay for the "privilege". If you love the car and have the money it isn't a big deal."

Luxury? Money? As of April 1 of this year, the average transaction price for a new car in this country was $32,000. MSRP on this CLA250 was $34,495. This is not an expensive luxury car and you do not need to "have the money" to buy one.

Sorry - do not want to quibble over minor details, but that's not a minor detail.

edited June 2014

@fordson1, Indeed the CLA is cheap, but the average transaction price for a Benz in the US is just shy of $60k. You can't expect a company used to dealing with that type of clientele to change their entire service pricing structure for a single model line. Audi certainly hasn't with the A3 and BMW didn't with the 1-Series (after the free maintenance period ends, of course).

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486

sorry mercedesfan this is my second post disagreeing with you tonight...

our bmw dealership used to charge $200 for an oil change for our e90. now it is $80; same price for the e46 generation. and i get an f30 loaner for the day... they have didn't price levels for 5-series, x3s, x5s, etc...

the rates are here:

http://www.dreyerreinboldbmwnorth.com/value-service.htm

it is possible...

@mercedesfan said:
    You can't expect a company used to dealing with that type of clientele to change their entire service pricing structure for a single model line. Audi certainly hasn't with the A3 and BMW didn't with the 1-Series (after the free maintenance period ends, of course).

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

@fordson1 said:
    "So I asked about the price when I was getting CLA. They mentioned that the list price for the cartridge oil filter is about $110..." They told you that, did they? Well, at AutohausAZ.com, you can get it - the official M-B part - for $13.92. Or you can get the Mann-branded one (Mann makes the M-B OEM filter...) for about $11 on ebay, among other places.

The crush washer costs a quarter. Car takes just under six quarts of synthetic oil.

Fluid top-offs? What kind of fluid top-offs, besides washer fluid, does a car with 11,000 miles on it need? Do you really think there many safety-related parts that have crapped out in that number of miles?

There is a sucker born every minute.

mercedesfan, the fact that the E-Class service was $110 more than this car, for the same items, is proof that M-B absolutely, positively keyed those prices to what the market will bear...cost of parts and labor by the flat rate book had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Yeah, such a deal.

When the dealership tells you list is $110 for the filter, and the price is actually $13.92, well, they pretty much called you a fool.

Let's not kid ourselves here. You paid $230 for a $45 service.

Maybe Edmunds should don an investigative journalist's hat, and examine the service pricing structures of these dealerships? You know, blow the lid on this BS.
    But yeah, that means actual work. I'm not sure what we really learn from blindly accepting charges. We can get that info from any internet owner's group.

But let's be honest here. Edmunds would never do that as they'll never get any luxury loaners again.

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

I'm surprised by all the uproar over MB service prices. EVERY car service is cheaper if you get the parts yourself, and do it yourself. MB dealers charge what the market will bear, as does every other for profit business. Expensive cars have expensive service costs, who knew!

"Expensive cars have expensive service costs, who knew!"

You're absolutely right, except for the part about it being expensive. Oh, wait - that was your whole point, huh?

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

Ypu don't think the CLA is expensive? Perhaps not for a merc, but that car is no Camry.

@s197gt, That's actually pretty neat. I have never seen that before and I really hope it catches hold. Unfortunately, that is not the norm. I do give BMW credit, though, because they do charge a lot less for their oil changes than MB does. Our last couple of Bimmers have only been $150-$200 for basic service while MB is consistently in the $300 range.

throwback, a loaded-to-the-gills Camry is $36,543. That's two grand more than this CLA. Now, that's not the average Camry, but a Camry optioned similar to this CLA is around $32,500.

I think your frame of reference as to what is an expensive car may be a little out of date.

• camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54

$110 oil filter. LOL They must use some really expensive paper to make that filter.

BTW Edmunds, what happened to the DODGE DART?

• richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91

I've had 3 Infinitis and balked at some of the service prices. Lately they've been offering coupons for service. I just had both my M37x and my wife's JX serviced for $59 each. Oil change, fluids, tire rotation and car wash. No way I'd pay over $100 for just an oil change. You guys are getting robbed!

• mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014

My Acura dealer gave me a $24.95 oil change card for my TSX, in a nice lounge with wifi, free Fivebucks, snacks, topped off with a wash and vacuum. Oh yeah, I can get a loaner too if I need it.

The ironic thing, is my car is made in Japan, and front wheel drive. The Benz is also front wheel drive, and made in Hungary!? .... Yeah...

• andrewamgandrewamg Member Posts: 1
    You people who are hammering on Mercedes CLA250, especially fordson1, you're arguing apples and oranges. Your whole argument is framed on the CLA250 being around $34,500, so you can claim it's not much of a luxury vehicle, and that it's very similar to cars like a Camry. Nonsense. You're not even in the right ballbark with your claim. First of all, it's obvious you've never purchased a Mercedes, certainly not the CLA250. If you bought it will all the options, it's closer to $47K. The AMG version can easily go to $65K+. That isn't anywhere near one of these cheap Japanese cars. Not in terms of features, not in terms of engineering standards, not even in terms of looks. So to argue that these cars are similar and that people who purchased a Mercedes are suckers because they overpay is utter nonsense and reeks of envy.

Not everyone is a weekend warrior that has time to change the oil on their car for $50 in parts. Some of us have more important things to do. Others don't want to get their hands dirty. Others [retirees] just want to visit the dealer to burn time. Whatever the case, you assume that everyone is like you. And if they aren't, there's something wrong with them. Again, more nonsensical judgment. From a guy who has owned old beaters to very expensive Mercedes, I've driven many cars and have done tons of research on all sorts of cars. Because when you make a lot of money, a whole new market of automobiles opens up, so doing due diligence is not only important, but fun. And my research has shown that you get what you pay for. Period. Don't like the expensive prices for a Mercedes, don't buy a Mercedes.

The fact is you are arguing silly points to people who have money. They'd rather pay some grease monkey $250 for an oil change than do it themselves. Money isn't an issue, nor is the appearance of being money conscious. Being rich means you can pay a lot and not feel guilty or embarrassed, all the while getting some of the most attentive, fast-acting service available on the market. I won't go into details on the vast benefits of a Mercedes, as it appears arguing with you is futile. But, I can assure with great confidence -- there is a huge difference between a Mercedes and a Toyota, on all levels. Again, I won't bother with the details. That's something you might appreciate when you make a lot of money and finally understand that saving $100 on an oil change is a very low priority for people with money that want to own a fine luxury vehicle.
  • classysclassys Member Posts: 4
    Most, if not all Mercedes dealer will handwash and detail your car inside and out in addition to giving you another Mercedes to drive. Having to change your oil at 10K to 12K miles is very reasonable considering how much it would cost to change your oil 4 times at 3000 miles for $30 each time= $120, the cost to have your car cleaned inside and out $50, the cost to rent another Mercedes for one day at $60 per day. It's interesting how some people comment without even owning a Mercedes. My family has owned 11 of them (4 new and 7 used) over the course of 30 years and have always enjoyed the durability, looks and comfort of these vehicles. After 10 years our Mercedes still looked and felt almost as nice as when they were new. I can't say the same for our Toyotas, Acuras, Hondas, GMs and various other vehicles we've owned over the years.
  • dcsinccdcsincc Member Posts: 1
    first of all what dolt takes a Mercedes or any car for that matter to the dealers for a fuc n oil change and have a cat tell you that your fluid levels are ok for 250.. unbelievable.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I love the "inspection" part. How much needs to be inspected on a car with 10,000 miles.

Anyone who buys any European car should be well aware of the service costs before writing a check.

Never owned a MB but have owned three BMW's and they can suck a wallet dry quickly.

In parts of California the MB dealers are pushing 200.00/hr. for labor! YIKES!