Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Breezes Through 40,000-Mile Service and Recalls - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Ram
imageBreezes Through 40,000-Mile Service and Recalls - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

We were nearly 2,000 miles overdue for the 2014 Ram 1500's scheduled service, but it sailed through with no problems and even got some minor recall attention.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Odd; why no service appointments? Very interesting. That steering wheel wiring harness fix sounds really.. Promising.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I don't know how people deal with these things. It's tough enough to get our Pilot to the dealership for new tires, let alone all of these issues and recalls and such. We're just about at 50k and I've changed the oil, done the filters (super easy) and swapped out the transmission fluid... THAT'S IT. I mean, you bold that fact that is' JUST $277? Oh geez. Maybe, it's just me.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I gotta ask about fuel filters too. Why is it necessary to replace every 30k? It seems the trend is to put them inside the gas tank where they are intended to never need replacing. Every 30k seems absurd. Maybe it's different for diesel.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571

I don't know how people deal with these things. It's tough enough to get our Pilot to the dealership for new tires, let alone all of these issues and recalls and such. We're just about at 50k and I've changed the oil, done the filters (super easy) and swapped out the transmission fluid... THAT'S IT. I mean, you bold that fact that is' JUST $277? Oh geez. Maybe, it's just me.

This is life with a modern vehicle. People just make the time and go to the dealer. My previous 2011 Hyundai Sonata had 5 recalls during its 5 years and 70,000 miles with me. Considering I had the oil changed every 5,000 miles, plus the handful of unscheduled service stops, I was at the dealer 20 times over the course of 5 years. It is really no different than taking the time to do maintenance at home. By the time you go to the store to buy oil, filters, parts, etc. then go home, get out the tools, do the work, clean up, and put the tools away you could have scheduled an appointment at the dealer and had them do the work.

Our local Honda dealer offers quick change service seven days a week at the dealership with no appointment necessary. $34.95 for a synthetic oil change, done by Honda certified techs, in and out in 30 minutes. They also replace tires in the quick service bays. Very convenient for people that either cannot, or do not want to, do the work themselves.
  • g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    Owning a 2015 EcoDiesel, the reality of $130 oil changes every 10k miles is the trade off for 23 mpg average from a very capable 5,800 lb truck. I save a lot of time driving by fuel stations and the service intervals are pretty long. There is an external fuel filter necessary on most diesels (water separation) and the 10.5 quart crankcase plus 'emissions protection' 5W30 Euro full syn oil is what drives the routine maintenance costs up. Still, 650 miles on a 26 gallon tank allow these sins to be more easily over looked. I usually DIY everything and will admit that maintenance costs on my former 2010 Honda Ridgeline were extremely minimal...Although getting 16 mpg around town from a 250 hp V6 with ancient 5 speed tranny definitely wasn't a great trade off...Just towed a 5,000 lb boat into extreme head wind with Eco and still got nearly 19 mpg over 275 miles. Got 26 mpg going to get the boat...Those numbers are hard to argue with...
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    You might want to check and see if there was a diesel maintenance supplement with the owner's manual. It is very unusual for a diesel to go 40,000 and not require a fuel filter replacement.