Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

In Defense of the Older Generation - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Volkswagen
imageIn Defense of the Older Generation - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

There are many things that Volkswagen got right with the last generation Golf GTI. Some of these things were left out of the 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I really hope you can change that font to something that looks less like Comic Sans. That'd be a deal breaker for me right there if you're stuck with that.
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    As I recall, the grey snowflakes were standard on all 2013s except the base model, not just the Wolfsburg. I recall it as a big step up in taste from the 2012s. 2013 was also the last year you could get a 2-door (the only proper GTI, IMO) in a full range of configurations including with moonroof, without black leather, thus staying well under $30K.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I can't say I've seen one with the grey snowflakes. Here are the best ones:
    http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1983-VW-GTI_Low-Miles-Snowflakes.jpg
  • Options
    racingmaniac1racingmaniac1 Member Posts: 7
    As someone who traded in his MK6 for MK7 GTI I sort of agree with some of these. I like the new layout of the MK7, the equipment level is arguably better equipped(comparing barebone to barebone, as I had a no-option 2011 DSG car and I currently have a PP S 6MT). You can feel though some cost has definitely been spared to get that(aside from just the German vs Mexico thing). The touch point in the cabin feels like its been moved higher as there are more hard plastic everywhere(some are design choice like the piano black looking shiny bits). The padding for the door card arm rest feels thinner, as does the center console one. The center console arm rest itself feels less well made, as the extend/retract function does not hold its position and I have accidently shove it back when I am shifting(still holds elevation, which is at least good). The steering wheel as mentioned I think they did cheap out. The perforated leather wrapping of the MK6 feels better to the touch. Though personally I like the thinner rim, not a fan of the overly sculpted bumps of the MK6 neither. I also kinda miss the red LED lighting on the overhead in the MK6. I guess that got replaced with the lit red stripe on the door. The switch to top hinged gas pedal is also surprising to me.

You cannot fault the driving experience of the new car though. It is a much better driving car, much better response, and better brake pedal feel(IMO the worst part of MK6). The fuel economy jump is a welcome change also.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    My MK5's DSG was exactly as you describe in your MK6 until VW replaced the mechatronics unit :-( and now it's like you describe in the MK7.

I do find the option packages a bit too hard to swallow on the MK7, with the requirement of black leather seats to get a sunroof. I am thinking I'll be forced to take a used, first year MK6 with a stick shift, sunroof, and Dynaudio sound to get non black leather (cloth seats in this case)...when my car has 200k miles.