Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Rear Passengers Get Vents Too - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Acura
imageRear Passengers Get Vents Too - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

A luxury car should have rear vents for the rear passengers, yet there are a few that don't. Our 2015 Acura TLX isn't one of them, but there's still some room for improvement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    and the vents are closed in the photo talking about how great the vents are.
  • Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    So does a VW Golf (Since MkV)... And I don't know of a single vehicle EVER to offer rear ventilated seats under $40k, or even S100k.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I maybe telling my age but I grew up in an era where cars were HUGE and none of them had rear seat air conditioning vents. Yet they had no problems cooling the entire cabin with just the 4 vents in the dash. That was also the time when the air conditioning compressor was almost the size of a dinner plate. On summer vacation road trips my Mom's Buick Park Avenue could keep everything ice cold on the lowest fan speed and normal A/C not max. All the vents would have the vapor/fog coming out of them. Why don't they do that any more?
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

I maybe telling my age but I grew up in an era where cars were HUGE and none of them had rear seat air conditioning vents. Yet they had no problems cooling the entire cabin with just the 4 vents in the dash. That was also the time when the air conditioning compressor was almost the size of a dinner plate. On summer vacation road trips my Mom's Buick Park Avenue could keep everything ice cold on the lowest fan speed and normal A/C not max. All the vents would have the vapor/fog coming out of them. Why don't they do that any more?

My childhood experience for roadtrips across the western US in our 70s station wagon was that the A/C was not powerful enough and I was always sweltering in the back seat. I, for one, welcome rear vents and ventilated seats!
  • Options
    craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51

I think there's a mix of reasons... newer refrigerants that are more environmentally friendly but behave differently... that big compressor likely lowered mpg's and sapped more power too. And it would've been designed without the benefit of computer airflow modeling so it would've been sized to deal with any situation rather than more elegantly routing air around with design.