Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Strikes Good Balance Between Commuter and Weekender - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Volkswagen
imageStrikes Good Balance Between Commuter and Weekender - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Volkswagen GTI might not be the most comfortable daily-driver but it's definitely fun to drive on the weekends.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I have total confidence in VW creating a car that's fun to drive and feels like a quality car. The only problem is reliability and maintenance. Too many owners swear off VWs after having to deal with them over a long period of time.
  • Options
    nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    That's right. After our experience with a Jetta GLX, I'll need to be thoroughly convinced that VW has cured its reliability issues before I'd consider one. I'm not there yet. I know Ford has some issues too, but I'd much sooner buy a Focus ST than a GTI anyway. Besides, IMO the ST rides extremely well and would be an excellent daily driver.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Nice Karman Ghia! I suggest you put a air cooled VW on the short list for your next LT old timer.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    nedmundo said:

That's right. After our experience with a Jetta GLX, I'll need to be thoroughly convinced that VW has cured its reliability issues before I'd consider one. I'm not there yet. I know Ford has some issues too, but I'd much sooner buy a Focus ST than a GTI anyway. Besides, IMO the ST rides extremely well and would be an excellent daily driver.

My family's experience has been very similar to yours; horrid reliability. I've been burned enough to not return to VW even though I like cars such as the GTI, A3, and CC. I'm test driving a Focus ST this weekend.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited October 2015
    nedmundo said:

... After our experience with a Jetta GLX, I'll need to be thoroughly convinced that VW has cured its reliability issues before I'd consider one...

Just think how much quality they could have added to their cars for the billions they are spending with their current mess. And nothing says future quality like cutting expenses and asking supplier to lower their prices.

I am continually tempted by VW but I know too many people that traded theirs in on different makes way before they were planning to because of reliability issues. It is made even worse by our closest dealership being an hour away.
    Without that the Golf, Jetta and A3 would all be cars I'd test drive this weekend.

I know there will always be people with stories of how all of their VW's have been reliable. Clearly no car company makes all bad cars and no car company makes all perfect cars. To me it is just a matter of playing the odds and that is an expensive roll of the dice if it comes up with whatever a bad roll of the dice is.

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited October 2015
    VW reliability has always been an issue but lately they have been working to change that. Until now. VW's statement that they are going to aggressively cut costs is really disturbing. This will inevitably mean using cheaper parts in their car and using low bid suppliers.
  • Options
    ez2beez2be Member Posts: 8
    I can't agree with the comments about the GTI having a stiff suspension/poor ride quality. What are you comparing it to and what are you accustomed to driving???

My 2015 GTI has the most comfortable ride of any small car I've owed (original GTI, original Toyota MR2, Nissan NX2000, '99 Civic Si, 1st gen Honda Fit). In fact, I don't even think of it as being a small car, with small car liabilities.

My 2015 GTI has DCC but I leave it in Normal mode for everyday city driving and find the ride to be more than satisfactory. I recently completed an extended road trip with 3 passengers and selected the comfort mode for the drive. The ride was quite plush, there were no complaints from anyone.

The fact that I can switch to Sport mode for playtime is just a bonus as Normal me gives good results too.
  • Options
    135iusn135iusn Member Posts: 40
    Readability - VW? - I had an '08 R32 from 17k miles to 42k miles. One of the best running car's I've owned. Only issue was a replaced rear defroster as 1/2 the window stopped defrosting in 2011 and covered under warranty....Miss that car...
  • Options
    dhs1204dhs1204 Member Posts: 1
    135iusn said:

Readability - VW? - I had an '08 R32 from 17k miles to 42k miles. One of the best running car's I've owned. Only issue was a replaced rear defroster as 1/2 the window stopped defrosting in 2011 and covered under warranty....Miss that car...

And I had a 2013 GTI...car was a blast to drive, but in 24000 miles, I had 8 warranty repairs, five were urgent, and three of which left me stranded on the road: stranded: water pump (first time), Oil pressure sensor (actually was safe to drive in hindsight), crankshaft sensor (final straw...just died). Urgent issues that allowed me to get to the dealer: second water pump issue, window froze. Non-urgent issues: wheel bearing, radio, water leak in the rear wiper.

Thanks, but I will never own a VW again.