Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in MINI
image2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Our Long-Term Test of the 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop is complete. See how the new three-cylinder engine held up over one year and 20,789 miles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited October 2015
    apparently a cpo '14 model would be the smart choice with that depreciation hit and mini's reputation for quality.
  • Options
    pureclassicpureclassic Member Posts: 12
    We had a 2007 Mini - basic model w/std transmission - ran great, handled well-fun... free maintenance was good and no issues, but once that clears time/mileage expect BMW labor costs - standard oil change at dealer oil $150.00 - anytime the key or the dash prompts an issue data analysis at service department is $130.00 - total brake job is $1000.00+ - and premium fuel keep operating costs up -- so nothing is low-impact or truly economical as ads once described -- of course you do not need to go to dealer - BTW during the free maintenance period they do not rotate tires - I had some wear at front (typical fwd) and asked dealer about rotation and called MiniUSA - they said tire rotation leads to vibration issues - yet once the warranty period is clear the dealer is happy to rotate them and charge for it -- these are not the least of concerns - despite sticking to scheduled maintenance - at 82K my car started swallowing coolant - no drips/leaks - just scary thoughts of engine work prompted me to trade in -- to me there is an issue with 2nd gen motors as mileage builds based on the blogs - so Countryman (2nd gen) and such are not on my option lists -- 3rd gen engineering and 3cyl may be better - I like the new 4-door and Clubman - but not seeing anything which proves long-term ownership is a happy experience - thoughts? wonder if anyone has high mileage reliability?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    It would be cool if Edmunds would keep a MINI for a longer period - 100K miles - as there are waaaay too many high-ish mileage horror stories out there. Both for reliability and maintencance costs.