Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

[New York] Should I wait to lease the newly redesigned Chevrolet Malibu 2016?

garbonzo607garbonzo607 Member Posts: 7
edited November 2015 in Chevrolet
A dealership is offering me a great deal with GM employee pricing, $264 per month 0 down, for a Chevrolet Malibu 2016 Limited 2LT which seems like a great deal, but I don't know whether to take it or wait until the new 2016 redesign (I will still get the employee pricing).

The salesman said there will be no incentives for the new 2016 car and my payment will be higher, but I'm not sure about that, the 2016 will be 3k cheaper for the features I want, has 3 mpg more economy (which would only save $200 in 3 years, but just in case gas prices go back up), and should hold its value more, right? I don't really know, I've just read that it's best to lease a car when it first comes out because that's when the residual value will be the highest so I'll save money on the depreciation cost.

Thank you so much, this forum has been a huge help already!

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    I'm confused, are you being offered the great deal on a 2015?
  • garbonzo607garbonzo607 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, the 2016 Malibu Limited is the 2015 design, not the redesign.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Every time someone makes a post like yours, I always come down on the side of buying the newer version. Even if the models haven't changed from one year to the next, there's always running changes/improvements on the assembly line. Your situation is tricky since it sounds like there's really going to be a newer 2016.5 model.

But - I don't lease, and I figure that buying the latest pushes my depreciation a year down the road.

Figuring out the residual value is kind of a black art for the automakers (at least it seems that way to me). Chevy may decide to lower the residual to try to save some money, thinking the car market is so hot right now they'll still move plenty of metal. Maybe the threatened rate increase by the Fed in December will affect their thinking too.

Beats me. :)
  • garbonzo607garbonzo607 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you a lot for your help anyway!