Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Aftermarket Display Can Match Ambient Cabin Light - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Dodge
imageAftermarket Display Can Match Ambient Cabin Light - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

The new head unit in our 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 allows you to change its colors to match the interior ambient lighting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    let me know if you guys can figure out how to dim the display automatically or through some kind of shortcut for night time. i haven't figured it out (taken the time) yet.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    THAT is your main concern? Color. Oh geez. You know what I want? A system that WORKS. Reliably. Consistently. I want a polished, well designed piece with Android Auto where I can get updates as soon as Google releases them with a stable Google Maps app. I want something that'll still be a nice feature 5+ years from when I have it installed.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2015
    s197gt said:

let me know if you guys can figure out how to dim the display automatically or through some kind of shortcut for night time. i haven't figured it out (taken the time) yet.

Assuming your unit is in an S197 Mustang, per your username, the orange wire on the factory harness adapter won't work. It may for all of the other Ford products that use that same adapter. But it doesn't work on the Mustang. (There are a number of threads on this topic in various Mustang forums.) Instead you'll have to splice the Orange wire from the Pioneer harness to a source that triggers with the lights. Some have gone straight to the headlight switch. Others have gone down near the fuse box. I wanted to keep the wiring in the center stack, so I spliced into the wire bundle that controlled the warning flashers / traction control toggle switches and passenger airbag "off" light. I don't firmly recall the wire color, but want to say it was blue with a yellow stripe? YMMV,depending upon year.

FYI, between this post and the prior post concerning the Android product not working on Edmunds' Pioneer unit, I don't want to come off sounding like some super car stereo guru because I'm not. I've just got a '06 Mustang GT with an 8000NEX that I installed and my buddy uses Android with his 4000NEX that was installed by someone else. I've had to debug exactly these two issues before.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486

FYI, between this post and the prior post concerning the Android product not working on Edmunds' Pioneer unit, I don't want to come off sounding like some super car stereo guru because I'm not. I've just got a '06 Mustang GT with an 8000NEX that I installed and my buddy uses Android with his 4000NEX that was installed by someone else. I've had to debug exactly these two issues before.

thank you. i'm on my second after market stereo and the dimmer has never worked. i've never gone to the electronics section of the forums so this is good info. i'm not excited about splicing into other wires but maybe some day i'll try it.
    edited November 2015
    s197gt said:

thank you. i'm on my second after market stereo and the dimmer has never worked. i've never gone to the electronics section of the forums so this is good info. i'm not excited about splicing into other wires but maybe some day i'll try it.
    Glad I could help. I wasn't thrilled about splicing to make this work either, but it worked out well. Since there's no IM'ing around here, I'm Stuntman Mike at both mustangforums.com and s197forum.com. I'm also Sparky 1320 at avic411.com. If you want to IM me at any of those places, I'll pull the face off of my center stack and send you some photos of where I tapped in to hopefully make things easier for you!

Kurt, sorry about the threadjack! Just trying to help this person out!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    The private messaging function can be found when you click on someone's Profile, like so. Just click the Message box.

We don't really encourage it because so much good info doesn't get shared when your PM each other. And then someone else shows up in a few months and wants the info but can't find you for whatever reason.

And yeah, so much stuff gets run through the ECU and various other computers, I'm leery about giving someone a jump start any more, much less tapping into my wiring. Seems like aftermarket car alarms are the worst - they really let you know when they get unhappy with the wiring, sometimes years after the install.
    stever said:

The private messaging function can be found when you click on someone's Profile, like so. Just click the Message box.

We don't really encourage it because so much good info doesn't get shared when your PM each other. And then someone else shows up in a few months and wants the info but can't find you for whatever reason.

And yeah, so much stuff gets run through the ECU and various other computers, I'm leery about giving someone a jump start any more, much less tapping into my wiring. Seems like aftermarket car alarms are the worst - they really let you know when they get unhappy with the wiring, sometimes years after the install.

Hey! I never knew that was there! Cool!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    Our own little Easter egg, lol. It mostly depends on how your find the story. Most options don't show up when you read the article from the reviews section of the site, but if the article is linked over in the forums, then you can see the pic posting icon and other options when you comment from the forums.