Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for November: Average Fuel Economy Barely Budges - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Volvo
imageFuel Economy Update for November: Average Fuel Economy Barely Budges - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Overall fuel economy for our 2015 Volvo S60 barely budged in November, so its 23.0 mpg average still falls short of the EPA estimate of 28 mpg. However, that's not bad for a 300 hp sedan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    This is what I've figured out- forced induction makes for great MPG if you baby the throttle (EPA testing, in particular). NA engines aren't always rated as high as forced induction engines but they achieve much closer to their ratings when operated in the real world.

As the industry must adapt to CAFE requirements, smaller, forced induction motors will continue to replace NA motors. However, consumers will soon find that, in their hands, forced induction doesn't deliver on MPG ratings (see Ford's EcoBoost lawsuits).
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    You are comparing it to the TLX but you forgot to mention that the V6 in the TLX also has variable cylinder management so at highway speeds under light load you're driving on 3 cylinders not 6. Haven't experienced it but I've read that it so smooth in transition most people forget it has this feature.
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

You are comparing it to the TLX but you forgot to mention that the V6 in the TLX also has variable cylinder management so at highway speeds under light load you're driving on 3 cylinders not 6. Haven't experienced it but I've read that it so smooth in transition most people forget it has this feature.

A friend of mine has a V6 TLX and I've driven it a few times on several hour trips and I agree, the cylinder deactivation is completely unnoticeable. The 9-speed transmission however is not so smooth, the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are very noticeable.

I've also been impressed with the highway MPG, per the computer 32 - 33.