Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Promotes Poor Posture - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Mazda
imagePromotes Poor Posture - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

There's no telescoping steering wheel, no up-down seat adjustments, and the seats could use more lateral bolstering. When it comes down to it, our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata simply promotes bad form.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yep, in my 2000, I have foam removed from the seat and visors removed (as mentioned earlier) just to get it as low as possible. Then, I'm kinda hunched back, so I can see out. If I were to sit up straight with perfect posture, I could literally see OVER the car. I'm only 5' 11" too. Must've been designed for a stereotypically shorter culture.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    and since I want to ramble...add some more power so I don;t get spanked by a minivan off the line and on the highway.
  • Options
    defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2015
    I get it. Miata is supposed to be a drivers car. I totally respect the way Mazda has kept the car pure, sporty and light. I get it has road noise and no luggage room. Those can inline with its stated mission.

HOWEVER, its absolutely unacceptable that basic driver ergonomics are sub-par. Over the course of long term ownership, these are some key things that make or break the experience. The seating angle you mentioned sounds positive torturous.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Hey, Motoring Press...when we tried envisioning living with the car for awhile and said that it should maybe have more power, we were told that it was pure and you wouldn't change a thing about it. Now you want to change a couple of things about it...because you're living with it for awhile.

THIS is how you get an already-light car to drop 200 lbs...you cut, cut and cut some more. Same way Toyobaru did - no trim panel on the inside of the trunk lid, touchscreen-only infotainment system that sounded like crap and no control buttons on the steering wheel. And the motoring press loved it, until they had to live with it.
  • Options
    craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    There seem to be two styles of stick holding, those who hold it from the side and those who grab it from the top. Also it's impossible to write that sentence without sounding like a euphemism.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    I am beginning to understand why fashion conscious women complain about bikinis mainly designed for the skinny minority. Nevertheless, the Miata is meant to be fun first, practical second. It's fine with me that the Miata is better suited for SkyActiv people, and I am also thankful for bikinis. :)