Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buyers Back Away From Hybrids and EVs as Gas Prices Fall | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in General
Buyers Back Away From Hybrids and EVs as Gas Prices Fall | Edmunds.com

Car buyers are trading in hybrid and electric cars for SUVs at a higher rate than ever before as gas prices fall, according to a new analysis from Edmunds.com.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2015
    People wait until gas prices go up and then they pay too much for hybrids. They are cheap when gas prices are low.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    No surprise, hybrids were pretty much breakeven (or worse) at $4/gallon. I probably won't buy another, with the good mpgs cars are now getting.
  • Options
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    One thing you never bet on is a low(ish) gas price. Our average price has risen over 60¢ since January. People who buy gas guzzlers because the price of gas went down 20¢ are complete morons.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    "Industry insiders and those who follow the business closely say that dealers may also be worrying about their bottom lines. They assert that electric vehicles do not offer dealers the same profits as gas-powered cars. They take more time to sell because of the explaining required, which hurts overall sales and commissions. Electric vehicles also may require less maintenance, undermining the biggest source of dealer profits — their service departments."

A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric (NY Times)
  • Options
    bjohansenbjohansen Member Posts: 5
    That seems silly to me. As though gas prices are the only incentive for buying an EV or PEV. Besides, it's probably still worthwhile in the long run since gas prices tend to run conveniently in sync with political cycles.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    It is extremely stupid to pay exorbitant premium for a hybrid. I would never buy them unless they cost on par with the normal gassers.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760

One thing you never bet on is a low(ish) gas price. Our average price has risen over 60¢ since January. People who buy gas guzzlers because the price of gas went down 20¢ are complete morons.

Where do you live ?
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    That's an April post, prices went up then, but way down now. CAFE MPG requirements will result in a lot more hybrids, even if it doesn't pay off. I bought one at $3/gallon, 8 year payout, which was OK with me. Now, with gas prices down and non-hybrids doing better mpg-wise, I'd probably not get one.