Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto Start/Stop Slow to Reignite Engine - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Volvo
imageAuto Start/Stop Slow to Reignite Engine - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

The auto start/stop in the 2015 Volvo S60 is slow to fire up the engine compared to other systems we've tested.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, clearly mechanical devices like Engines aren't designed for being shutoff and started like this. This is definitely a "stop gap" measure until electric vehicles can come down in cost.
  • okseriouslyokseriously Member Posts: 8
    ChiCom engineering at its finest.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Isn't there a recall campaign on this? I thought Volvo told everyone to de-activate this feature.
  • saulstersaulster Member Posts: 48
    No recall yet, at least none notified yet on my 2015.5 S 60 T6 ( same vehicle as Edmunds test vehicle ). And no contact to tell me to deactivate. The )(*&U*&^% obnoxious thing turns on every time you start the engine, requiring a manual button push shut down every time if you want if off.

This is just crap engineering for higher mileage ratings to advertise IMHO. Yeah, we have this feature, it improves mileage, yada, yada, yada. The fact that it does not work worth a damn in the real world is not important. And, by the way, the mileage still doesn't come up to close to the ratings anyway, not that I am really surprised that a 300 horsepower car is averaging, for me, about 22 MPG in the city and 26 MPG overall. Despite the 35 MPG highway rating, my best tank on the open road has been just short of 33 MPG.

Other manufacturers seem to have better success with this feature, at least some operate smoothly and quietly and demonstrate this can be done right. Volvo just didn't spend the time and energy to get theirs right in the first place. It's simply rough shutting down, rougher starting up, and at it's most unacceptable in traffic where it is meant to function and save. Don't get me started on how this acts when waiting in line on a crowded freeway on ramp.........

• micksterinomicksterino Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    There is an internal Volvo service advisory (not a TSB) and updated firmware for the car. We had the car turn OFF-not the engine-at a traffic light stop. It's noted by us and one other person on the NHSTA site. The car starts up much more quickly and reacts faster when coming off the brake and going to the accelerator.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    I hate auto stop/starts. Hardly saves any fuel and ruins your car A/C during winter and drains the battery most likely. May also strain the engines too. If it is a long stop like in a roadside accident or construction, I can turn off the car myself.