Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Will my Subaru last me another year?

greenagate99greenagate99 Member Posts: 40
edited November 2015 in Subaru
Hello, I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Impreza Sport (AWD) that I've had since the Summer of 2011. I inherited the car from a family member who passed away in December 2010. The car is a bit rough, because he used to take it around to collect rocks and fossils. The car means a lot to me, even with two rust holes that have almost cut me when I get out on the passenger side. My cat sits outside 24/7, because our garage is only for two cars, and both my parents have their cars inside. I'm not sure how many miles my car has. My problem is that the check engine light has been on for about a year now. We've had it in several times to the only Subaru repair shop in Omaha, and each time they'd find something to fix (oxygen monitor?, spark plugs, etc.). But, every time my dad would drive to work on the interstate, the light would come back on. My parents don't wanna put anymore money into my Subaru to repair it. I don't want to get rid of my car, unless I absolutely have to. My car has to get refilled about once a week (between me driving to college and my dad to work (sometimes)). Every time the oil gets changed, my dad has to replace a part or else the oil will leak. The steering wheel groans when I turn (going slow), and has been doing that for about as long as the engine light has been on. The brakes are squeaky at times, but that may just be the weather. Will my car hold out for another year? My mom is thinking I'll have to get a new one in that time frame. Or should I get it looked at?

Comments

• greenagate99greenagate99 Member Posts: 40
    Last night, my Subaru hit the 90,000 mile mark. I have heard of head gaskets going out anywhere between 85,000-150,000 miles. Is there anything I need to watch for? I mainly worry due to it being winter in Nebraska. I don't want my car to have issues if I can prevent them.

I know my timing belt was changed about a year ago.
  • dougvig64dougvig64 Member Posts: 1
    My family had a 1997 Subaru Outback and it lasted till Nov. 2010 with 190 thousand miles. It was really reliable until it got past 180 thousand miles. I attribute its longevity to getting oil changes every 4 thousand miles or three oil changes a year. The head gasket did break on the vehicle, and the only way to tell there was a problem was by checking the dash temperature gauge and coolant reservoir. The timing belt was replaced twice once when it was under 100 thousand miles and again at 174 thousand miles. The check engine light might be due to a Vacuum hose, or other sensor. The Outback had three oxygen sensors, and I replaced them all at 120 thousand miles. I personally had a 2003 Mazda 6 (owned), a 2011 Toyota RAV4 (lease), and now a 2014 Subaru Forester (lease). I would recommend not spending so much on the vehicle; except tires and brakes are important, but anything in the engine over 500.00 dollars would make me get another vehicle. I would recommend a 2008-2011 Toyota RAV4 for a next vehicle which in New Jersey cost around 14 thousand with around 40 thousand miles on it, but I think it is a great value for reliable transportation. A vehicle like your Subaru; I give it around three years, because I started with used vehicles, first car was a 1989 Toyota Carolla with 200 thousand miles on it; and I had that for four years. Had a 1999 Saturn SL2 with fourty thousand miles and had that for three years due to accident on interstate. I would not recommend any vehicle with an aluminum frame, or really any car because ride height is such an advantage. Low profile tires are junk and a waste of time had them on the Mazda and my father has an Avalon; you get about twenty thousand miles out of them or one big pot hole.