Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Auxiliary Gauges Are Entertaining, If Little Else - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Ford
imageAuxiliary Gauges Are Entertaining, If Little Else - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com examines the worth of the auxiliary gauges that came with the Performance Package-equipped long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Gauges are cool, but they should relate to whatever the most likely problems of the car are going to be or are just for show. I'm sure every gauge that's been invented was done because of a problem that happened that needed to be monitored. You NEED a temperature gauge because if its in the upper range then your car is overheating and you need to pull over NOW. I would like to see gauges for things like the lowest tire pressure or maybe oil level. Ideally, there should be a permanent digital gauge that displays whatever is most relevant and can be toggled.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Frankly, I stopped trusting most factory gauges, after I found out that engine coolant temp gauges are designed to stay right in the middle until you've over-heated. They got tired of customers complaining about their engine temps fluctuating back and forth in traffic. It was easier to set the temp gauge to stay right in the middle than to try to educate the customer that it will run hotter if you're sitting there idling at a traffic light in August, but will drop down once you're rolling down the freeway.
  • Options
    dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    Pointless, sure, but it is a retro touch that brings back memories of an age where these types of gauges were expected, especially in a performance car. I would say a significant percentage of people who buy the Mustang (especially the GT) are of the demographic that remembers the "good old days" and may appreciate this option.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    On a side note- the dash in that Mustang looks so cheap. I see why so many manufacturers have gone the way of the touch screen; because they appear more expensive.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2015
    I agree about the vacuum gauge, pointless in a non-turbo performance car, that should be an oil temperature gauge.

I cannot disagree strongly enough about the oil pressure gauge though. Low OP at operating temp is a strong indicator of the internal condition of cam and crank bearings.

Personally I would be happy if every car had 6 always visible gauges (for cars without reconfigurable IP's): tach, speedo, fuel, engine temp, OP, and volts. All of these together (assuming the engine gauges aren't buffered into uselessnes, which many are) give a nice snapshot of the running condition of your engine and a warning of potential pending failures.