Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

More Like a McLaren F1 Than Ever - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Yugo
More Like a McLaren F1 Than Ever - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

The Edmunds Yugo used to be a four-seater, but then the fates intervened and rendered the driver seatbelt buckle inoperable. The silver lining is that this 1989 Yugo GVL is more like a McLaren F1 than ever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I'll admit I've had a couple of times where I've had to loop one seat belt through the shoulder/lap belt three pointer in the next seat to buckle in. I'm relatively certain it's not at all safe or legal, but it worked in a pinch.

So with the Yugo clipped in to the backseat, how big of a belly can you have and still put the seatbelt on in that car?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think it's time to retire this puppy and make a coffee table out of it.

• nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2016
    You can buy a universal seat belt kit that would probably bolt right in to replace the belt from a auto parts store.

they also sell products at the parts store that can be used to clean the inside of the car. : )
  • fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    ...now that would be interesting read: take the Yugo to one of those HIGH dollar car detail shops and let them have at the Yugo. It would prove once and for all that when money is no object that one can or cannot polish a turd......
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    "more like a McLaren F1 than ever"

That's a real smack on the Yugo. I'll stand with the Yugo. It's had less trouble than many of your long-term cars.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    It'll probably have a better resale value than any of the other long term cars too. Although, since they kept the '66 Vette, I suggest they make room for the Yugo on the showroom floor to represent those of us who are a bit more plebeian. Except, of course, when they take the Yugo out for the 24 Hours of Lemons.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    I noticed the stain on the driver's and passenger's seats. I hope that is not blood from a decades-old drive-by. :)