Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Needs a Bigger Gas Tank - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Jeep
imageNeeds a Bigger Gas Tank - 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Long-Term Road Test

I've never had to stop for gas as often as I did while driving our long term 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Yep, that 350 mi tank would mean at least 27.5 mpg, but realistically more like 28-30...despite its best fill of 24.3 as reported. Math is hard, apparently...
  • Options
    nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Gasoline weighs 6 lbs a gallon....more fuel = more weight = even worse MPGs from the dreadful Tigershark. The Renegade could have been so much better with a smooth and modern 4cyl but they are stuck with the Tigershark.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I'm not knocking the Renegade on this, since I don't have one. But it does sort of surprise me. It seems that the key distance for most car manufacturers is about 300 miles to a tank, based on average driving. So to make it that distance, with the tank size you've said, the Renegade would have to average about 24 mpg. But even with the lower MPG that you're showing, that still should have been at least 30 miles further per tank fill-up. So I have to wonder, how frequently did you stop? Did you run it till it was nearly empty? Could the gauge be a bit pessimistic?
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    My 09 Sedona minivan with 250 HP smooth V6 and 4400-lb curb weight, and 86k on the clock, can get 23 mpg highway with 7 passengers in it. Alternately, it can haul 8-ft long sheets of plywood with the hatch closed.

Others have commented to similar effect.

This tiny $30k Renegade is a dog. It has AWD and overdone cool Jeep styling, but a rough and inefficient drivetrain. I'd be out of my mind if my new 4-cylinder CUV got such terrible fuel economy.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Initially I thought that in a world where I could buy a new car or have multiple vehicles, it would be fun to choose a quirky machine like the Renegade. The more I read about the drivetrain though, the less appealing it gets. A 4 cylinder engine should get better fuel economy than 22mpg, especially considering larger vehicles with more robust off road hardware can equal that on the highway
  • Options
    henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    But it looks so cute! Bah...this car is a disaster.
  • Options
    hacefriohacefrio Member Posts: 29
    Readers keep us honest.

We went back to the logbook and noticed a couple of discrepancies in our entries. The not-best "best" range was the result of two combined fill-ups without a trip meter reset in between.

Those two tanks came in at 183 and 166 miles, and 15.2 and 17.4 combined mpg, respectively. The Renegade's best range remains 297.2 miles, while Romans still holds the best MPG with 24.3 mpg.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    hacefrio said:

Readers keep us honest.

Everyone makes mistakes but the difference is when you own up to them. Kudos!
  • Options
    notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    Our Jeep Commander has the same issue - thirsty V8 and the gas tank is too small. We only get 250 miles per filling, which is ANNOYING. I notice that when the next-gen Grand Cherokee was released that the tank was much bigger - something like 5-6 gallons.