Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Not A Miata - Driving the RX-7 GTO at Goodwood- 2016 Mazda Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Mazda
imageNot A Miata - Driving the RX-7 GTO at Goodwood- 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

We drive Mazda's IMSA GTO championship-winning RX-7 at the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Very cool Josh.
    Can you explain what this means?

Once moving, the clutch isn't necessary for upshifts, but breathing the throttle at exactly the right instant is.
  • Options
    jjacquotjjacquot Member Posts: 16
    It means you just unload the drivetrain by lifting a little off the gas then shove the shifter into the next higher gear. Do it right and it goes right in like a conventional sychromesh gearbox. Do it wrong and it won't come out of gear.
  • Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Fun video to watch. It would be great if Mazda brought back the rotary sports car, but the technical hurdles and Mazda's limited resources make this seem impractical. I think I would be happy with an affordable RWD sports coupe built on a stretched or "supersized" version of the MX-5 Miata chassis and powered by the larger 2.5 liter I-4.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Rotary is ideal for competition...doesn't need to make power at low rpm and doesn't need to last more than a couple thousand miles before it starts using oil and needs a rebuild.

Only problem is the poor fuel economy on the street is even worse on the track, so not good for endurance racing.