Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for December — Future Looks Bright - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Mazda
imageFuel Economy Update for December — Future Looks Bright - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

After just a few short weeks, our long-term 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is performing well, especially when it comes to fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Good to see a vehicle meeting its EPA rating unlike Mustang GT that doesn't even get close.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    For the Miata - this is very early in its lifespan at Edmunds, but frankly, for a 2300-lb. vehicle with only 155 hp, 29.5 mpg is not great.

The 2014 LT Mazda 3, which had the larger Skyactiv engine with 30 more hp, weighing 700 lbs. more, and with a torque-converter automatic, averaged 30 mpg over 20,000 miles. And it ran on regular.

Of course, the Miata is going to get worse mpg than the 3 did, for one simple reason...it's a sports car and it's going to be driven like one.

Wait...could that be the issue with the Mustang, too...? Nah. Never mind.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    yellowbal and longtimelurker: The Miata gets so-so mileage for a lightweight low powered sports car for the same reason that the high powered Mustang gets crappy mileage: because it is not intended to be driven in a way that is compatible with high MPG's. This seems pretty straight forward to me.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    I'm not sure if you missed it or not, but the average MPG is 29.5 right now - 0.5 mpg below the EPA estimates. And in just a few weeks, we've already outdone their highway estimate, getting 35.7 compared to the EPA estimate of 34 mpg. Whatever you're reading in to this, it should be positive.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    When I'm looking for an entertaining car for my side of the garage fuel economy is usually at the bottom of my list of priorities- just above the availability of Helen Keller driving aids(lane departure warning, "blind spot" monitoring, automatic braking, etc.)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tlangness said:

I'm not sure if you missed it or not, but the average MPG is 29.5 right now - 0.5 mpg below the EPA estimates. And in just a few weeks, we've already outdone their highway estimate, getting 35.7 compared to the EPA estimate of 34 mpg. Whatever you're reading in to this, it should be positive.

I don't really base my opinion on EPA estimates. I see that this car is rated at 27 city/34 highway. I see that for a 2016 Mazda 3, with this same engine, basically, and a 6-speed manual transmission and weighing 2869 lbs. (about 550 lbs. heavier than the Miata), the EPA is rating it at 29 city/41 highway. Now, the 3 will rev at 2228 rpm at 65 mph, while the Miata will rev 2646 at that speed, which will help the 3, but the Miata's lower frontal area and premium fuel requirement (which should enable the engine to run more ignition advance, enhancing efficiency) should help cancel out that advantage.

That's what I base my opinion upon.

I don't see 5 mpg difference there. I'll be very surprised if the Miata doesn't do better than its EPA estimates, but that's not because it will be some kind of mpg champ...it's because the EPA estimates for it are low.
    edited January 2016

tlangness said:

...it's because the EPA estimates for it are low.

Or because the numbers that Mazda reported to the EPA are accurate. I don't care if a car gets good fuel economy or bad fuel economy as long as the reported numbers are somewhat reasonable close to reality.
    My quoting got messed up. Ooops.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2016
    The software does that sometimes. Fixed with an extra /blockquote. :)
    Plus you can go back and edit it for 4 hours and fix the problem.
  • pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
    The mileage that the Miata gets is not important to me. Nor is the fact that it wants premium gasoline. If these were important, I'd buy a hybrid auto that takes regular gas.
  • pauljaypauljay Member Posts: 19
    Maybe I'm driving my Miata too conservatively, but I'm averaging about 37 mpg (city & highway driving combined). Guess I need to get more aggressive!