Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Clever Secondary Turn-By-Turn Display - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in BMW
imageClever Secondary Turn-By-Turn Display - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com explores the turn-by-turn instructions provided by its long-term 2015 BMW M235i convertible.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I drive for Uber full time, which on my Android Phone uses Google Maps by default (an adjustable setting). Google Maps uses the "up is always North" orientation and it bugs the crap out of me. I try to use my nav as little as possible since I think it is mostly a crutch, plus there are some quirks related to certain parts of the City of Chicago like it often directs you to the alley behind your destination rather than the street itself.

I typically navigate myself by just reading the map showing my destination, however, with north always up, if I am moving south and the destination is west of me, the pin to the left of the street I am on as I look at the screen, but in reality I have to turn right to get to it. I have been doing this long enough that I have adapted. but I would prefer that the orientation always reflect "up" as the direction of travel so that if it looks like I need to turn left on the screen that I also turn left in reality.
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    @bankerdanny Google Maps has had configurable orientation since...at least 2011. Just click the compass icon and it will cycle through the different options.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/z-RRLDISlJU
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Granted, I don't own a BMW, and I really don't have a reference for line of sight or size comparison for this photo, but it seems like the display is small and would require you to take your eyes off the road to focus on the display between the speedometer and tachometer. Maybe in real world use, it's not that bad. Just seems to me it should be more in line with the line of sight for maintaining eye contact on traffic and obstructions. I use GPS, but I use Google Maps on my phone with it connected to my vehicle, so let it do the turn by turn audio directions. When I DO look at the map (such as at a stop light), I have it set to align with my direction of travel.
  • Options
    sinna46sinna46 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2016
    In the picture it has the "150ft Red Hill Ave" on the right side of the map. This happens to be for a right turn. If it is a left turn is the "150ft Red Hill Ave" on the left side of the map? It would be cooler if it was, just saying...
  • Options
    dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    I agree completely. I set my old Garmin up the same way, with north always up and audible directions turned off. I use it more as a map than I do to navigate, although the fact that it will recommend alternate routes when traffic gets bad is helpful.
  • Options
    sd_davesd_dave Member Posts: 1
    Audi's have done this for years...
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    cobryson said:

@bankerdanny Google Maps has had configurable orientation since...at least 2011. Just click the compass icon and it will cycle through the different options.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/z-RRLDISlJU

I don't think that I can change that within the Uber Partner app, but I will check. Thanks.
  • Options
    boffboff Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2016
    I've never used nav with the north up orientation like a paper map...and I was a paper map junkie lol. Paper maps would have been even cooler if they came in 3D bird's eye format, just sayin. I'll try the north up setting just for giggles next time. BTW the little nav display in the gauge cluster in BMWs is awesome.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Does you tester have the HUD? If it did, the secondary NAV display would be up there.