Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

High Liftover Height - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Chevrolet

imageHigh Liftover Height - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

The 2016 Chevrolet Volt has a hatchback cargo area but its high liftover height may limit its functionality somewhat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I blame crash test regs for that kind of high liftover.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bet it's the battery pack's fault.
  • Options
    ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    I never get people who insist hatchbacks have much more room than sedans. It actually tends to be the opposite UNLESS you fold down the seats. I own a GTI...if I owned a comparable Jetta model, I'd have at least twice as much cargo space with the seats up and someone in the backseat. Not saying I hate hatchbacks (I like them)...but the statement that they have way more room...most of the time...is flawed.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    stever said:

Bet it's the battery pack's fault.

Doubt that, the battery pack runs down the center of the vehicle.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ergo that "high" transmission hump that drives us minivan fans nuts when we look at other non-FWD vehicles.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Yeah, that's where the battery pack is. It makes the floor line look like its a rear wheel drive.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    The battery pack ends just behind the rear seats. The high lift over is a product of the styling. If the opening was flush with the floor the bumper would be several inches lower and probably ruin the design.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.