Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Chevrolet Volt - Edmunds Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
2016 Chevrolet Volt - Edmunds Road Test

The 2016 Chevrolet Volt is quiet. That's one of the first things I notice about it during my first minutes behind the wheel. It's not silent in that "quiet like a vault" way that auto-journos like to use when describing large German sedans.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    What are the numbers for the new Volt?
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    What's it like when it switches over to the gas engine sound wise? I don't want to know the decibel changes...I mean, what's it like? Is it surprising, where all of a sudden, you start hearing the engine? Is it jarring? Does the car have a warning sound that plays before the engine engages?
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    That's surprising. I'd think it'd be nearly silent until the engine needed to start up. Is it wind noise or tire noise or what?
  • Options
    hacefriohacefrio Member Posts: 29
    @banhugh: we haven't had new Volt at track yet for full testing, which includes dB measurements.

@daryleason: electric-to-gas handover is pretty seamless. If you weren't listening for it, you probably wouldn't know it happened until a few minutes later when you'd notice a new, slight hum in the cabin. It's not jarring, there's no discernible engagement shock, and there's no warning chime (none that I heard anyway; perhaps there's an option for it in the settings). They've basically dialed out everything we disliked about the last powertrain package.

@kirkhilles1: it IS nearly silent when you're running on electric, as you say, basically just tire noise. I wasn't running long on electricity (battery wasn't fully charged), so my impressions were more limited to a highway drive on gas engine.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    You know, I see all kinds of people say this is a deal killer, that's a deal killer...with regards to the Volt, but I have to say...for the typical American commuter, who also takes a half-dozen longer trips a year, this car can work very well. With the average American commute to work, during the week, it costs you next to nothing to run, and then when you take the 500-mile-a-day road trip, it's up to doing that, too.

You take the whole range anxiety/search for public charging points part away, and you go, "here - just plug this cord into it every night when you pull into the garage." "Hmm...I can handle that - good to go."
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    edited January 2016
    Sheesh. All those dB numbers yet none for the new Volt. WTF.
  • Options
    txtdinerdtxtdinerd Member Posts: 4
    The Volt regardless of model year would still be driven at least 80 percent of the time on gasoline as after the battery charge is depleted for whatever portion of my daily 250 to 350 miles a day, the ICE will be propelling me. Also, passenger capacity of driver plus 3 for 2015 and earlier or driver plus 3.5 passengers for 2016 models does not work when I need true driver plus 4 passenger seating. I also have more cargo on a regular basis than what would fit in a typical trunk let alone the hatch area of the Volt of any model year.

Looking at those factors plus diesel being only slightly more than regular unleaded gasoline and significantly less than premium gasoline, the Volt is also not for me. Also, the maximum possible range for the Volt is less than what my VW Jetta TDI SportWagen has under the worst conditions. I would have to stop more often for fuel than I do now as well.

All this being said, it does fit the needs of some people, so it is not a bad vehicle. Rather it is simply a vehicle that does not fit my specific needs.
  • Options
    flinthillsnatvflinthillsnatv Member Posts: 1
    Mileage efficiency is more of a function of the drivers culture and driving habits than a function of the car. Cost is definitely a regional issue with CA electric prices nearly twice what EPA uses to estimate annual savings. Electricity is more expensive than gasoline unless your eletricity supplier has a very special rate. Great car