Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Bullet Goes Billet - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Yugo
The Bullet Goes Billet - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

We upgrade the Edmunds long-term 1989 Yugo GVL window cranks to billet aluminum

Read the full story here

Comments

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Beautiful! I love it!
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Very nice. Unfortunately, as noted previously, the filthy interior ruins it.
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    Is it any faster now? Billet window cranks must add at least 50HP.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    edited January 2016
    I'd have rather seen them spend the same money for a drill bit and make a knob that would spin to attach to the vice grips to use as a permanent window crank replacement. It would have been in-character for the Yugo. As it stands, the billet pieces look like someone making a homeless guy where a top hat and tie while standing it line at the soup-kitchen. It might look nice, but it doesn't go with the rest of the outfit or the environment.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    I wonder if a 3-D printed piece would hold up here.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    Back in July I left a comment about the quality of the window cranks...that comment is only available in cached versions of reviews, but I have to pat my own back about being prescient on this issue. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SPbmNUOsoCYJ:www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/1989-yugo-gvl-long-term-road-test-made-the-6-oclock-news.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    handbrake said:

I will admit to having gone to a dealer in the 1980s to take a look at Yugos when they first came here. I never got to the test drive part, though, because of...the window cranks. I sat in the car and it seemed ok at first, but when I went to roll down the window the crank flexed so much that I figured it was emblematic of the quality of the car overall. So, dear editors, can you tell me your impressions of the window crank?

@handbrake : There you go, Bud...gotta love copy and paste. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
  • brianknightbrianknight Member Posts: 7
    You guys keep raising the resale value, nickel by nickel. I still want a blog post from someone forced to drive it and only it, as intended by it's penalty box designation.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    To me the minimalist bare-metal design of the aftermarket handles has a very Soviet-era quality to it. They look like mechanical parts salvaged from a factory abandoned in the 90s and cleaned up for new use.
  • snipenetsnipenet Member Posts: 11
    Given les miserables, would it not be appropriate to name the car Victor?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    Thanks for the shout-out! Sorry I wasn't as helpful as I had hoped. But for $12.59, those seem like a screaming deal.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jelfalanjelfalan Member Posts: 14
    handbrake said:

Back in July I left a comment about the quality of the window cranks...that comment is only available in cached versions of reviews, but I have to pat my own back about being prescient on this issue. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SPbmNUOsoCYJ:www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/1989-yugo-gvl-long-term-road-test-made-the-6-oclock-news.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I do recall seeing this comment but neglected to include it. Excellent foresight, @handbrake.
    ab348 said:

Thanks for the shout-out! Sorry I wasn't as helpful as I had hoped. But for $12.59, those seem like a screaming deal.

We're fairly confident this won't be the last part that breaks, @ab348 ;)

You guys keep raising the resale value, nickel by nickel. I still want a blog post from someone forced to drive it and only it, as intended by it's penalty box designation.

Does it not count if I force myself @brianknight?
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Excellent repair! I'm surprised you didn't take it to the dealer, who would have charged you $70 for an hour's work and $92 for the parts.
  • brianknightbrianknight Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2016
    jelfalan said:

Does it not count if I force myself @brianknight?
    Not even a little bit. If you "forced" yourself, you can almost certainly unforce yourself. :D

What I mean by someone forced to drive the Yugo, is the Angry Boss comes into their office, happens to see the keyfob to their personal vehicle on the desk, takes it, and slams down the Yugo keys, screaming, "You screwed up again, miscreant! You will drive only the Yugo for a week/month/fortnight/month o' Sundays, etc."

That's what I mean by someone forced to drive the Yugo; not someone who can say "Beans to this Balkan, balkin', dung pile - I'm going to find a vehicle where the model year starts with 20!"