Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Better to Back Into a Spot - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Dodge

imageBetter to Back Into a Spot - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Because of the 2015 Dodge Viper GT's long nose, it's hard to tell when parking just how far you are from damaging the front end.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    First, I would have thought that the Viper would have parking sensors. For some reason, I figured it had adaptive cruise control, which would give you the equipment needed for parking sensors.

Second, is it any worse than when y'all had the Corvette?
  • Options
    craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    Adaptive cruise control uses radar, but parking sensors use ultrasonic waves (some aftermarket kits inaccurately say 'radar' - if it has those little round buttons, that's ultrasonic). Anyway, a car like this in 2016 should have front parking sensors. That's an odd omission.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    I had the opposite problem with my parent's old Dodge Ram. The hood was so high that I felt like i was practically on top of the car in front of me in parking lots - when in reality I had 4-5 feet of room
  • Options
    cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    I never understood the need for rear parking sensors and a rear parking camera. Isn't is better to see where you are going rather than hearing it?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2016
    Just another tool - I'm driving my brother's big honking F-150 some this week and I'm not sure where the rear bumper is. The backup camera is a big help with that, not to mention that it's another way to see around the blind spots, but the audible beeps would be handy too. Just asked my brother about it and his does beep - guess I've been too careful to trigger them yet. He says that the best feature of the beeps is when he's leaving a big box parking lot and someone walks behind his truck.

The beeping rear sensors in a rental Buick a few years back saved me from backing into a bollard in Chicago. It was just short enough that I never saw it looking through the mirrors. That implementation was nice - kind of a soft ding that alerted me, and got louder as I crept another few inches back so I could make my three point turn.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited January 2016
    I don't understand people who say they don't want/need parking sensors and cameras. One of my cars has none of these things, and of course I can park it just fine. But my other cars do have them and I appreciate them. It is another tool I can use while parking. I really like those "360 degree" cameras. Those really make squeezing into tight spaces a piece of cake. And they would help avoid hitting concrete objects you can't see.