Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4l random / multi cylinder misfire code.

chevy516chevy516 Member Posts: 5
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
I have a 2011 chevy equinox 2.4l ltz. It is giving the code random / multi cylinder misfire code and stabilitrak is also on. I just put new plugs in and get oil changes about every 5,000 miles. It is running very rough, stalling, and hesitating while idling and driving at both high and low speeds. It happens in every gear, park and neutral. What thoughts do you have on troubleshooting and fixing so I don't get ripped off by a dealer or shop. It has 100,000 miles on it almost all highway.

Answers

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited January 2016
    What oil have you been using, be specific. In scan data, what cylinders are being identified as misfiring?
  • chevy516chevy516 Member Posts: 5
    Full Synthetic 5w30 just like it says on the oil cap and it isn't giving me one cylinder all it says is random / multi cylinder misfire.
    And all my oil changes except yesterday was done by a dealer. I had my wife's shop do it and they used Pennzoil 5W30 Full Synthetic Platinum.
    A full scan tool and not a generic version will access the manufacturers side of the system and be able to display the live and historical misfire data by cylinder. That data will reveal which cylinder(s) is misfiring. That is the first step, identify the cylinder(s) affected, then one can start to work towards proving why.

Did you replace the plug boots on the coils when you did the plugs?

The last oil change would appear to be with a dexos approved product, do you have proof that the others were done with an approved product?
    Yes on the boots and the oil changes I don't know they were done by a chevy dealer. So I would guess so.
    With needing a full scan tool would it just be better to take it somewhere?
    Based on your first post, probably not.