Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Top-Down Takes a While - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in BMW
imageTop-Down Takes a While - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 BMW M235i is a quick car, but one of its slowest bits is the folding convertible top. So how does it compare to other convertible luxury cars?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    I don;t think top down speed would deter a buyer or convince them to buy the coupe. You either want a convertible or not and it seem like the BMW is on par with the majority of your taters. Sure the F-type was quicker but how many problems did that car give you during the long-term test to to mention it's time the price. Subjectively too, the coupe isn't attractive compared to the 4 series.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Holding a stopwatch to do something like this can be defined as having time on one's hands, both literally and figuratively.

You see what I did there...
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    It's funny how something that still takes less than half a minute can irk you. One of the convertibles that I noticed you didn't mention was the Jeep Wrangler. What's it's time like on putting the top down (properly) and then raising it? It's been a while since I've messed with a Wrangler, but a buddy of mine had one (it was a YK from about 89) and we found it was best to use two people to raise or lower it.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The full retraction of the windows before the top starts to move seems unnecessary and adds a few seconds.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People sure brag about the ease of putting their Miata's top up and down. Being able to flip the top down at a red light would be real luxury.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    This and other posts make me wonder if many at Edmunds are too impatient and/or OCD to even have a driving license. Not everything in life is a race.
  • Options
    reighty8reighty8 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2016
    Install SmartTop? One touch operation; quit counting forever.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Oh dear god, that took freaking forever. I love my old-school 2000 Miata in that I can have the top up or down in about 5 seconds when going a slow enough speed. That means that even if its drizzling or dark clouds I can risk having the top down till I need to put it up. The BMW version just looks like something that will break in a couple of years and require a $2,000 fix.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Too bad the rest of the Miata experience pales in comparison.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    @kirkhilles1-- These BMW canvas tops last 7-10 years before requiring a $2,000 fix. ;)
  • Options
    aggie94aggie94 Member Posts: 15
    In fairness, many convertibles including the Miata require manually operating latches, and my right shoulder started to hurt pulling that thing up often. That has to be included. My S2000 top was powered and quick, but had latches, only two seats, no tonneau cover, thin and loud fabric. I have a 2 convertible now and it is remarkably coupe-like when up. It felt odd, but the top works perfectly fine up to 30 mph - this does come in to play since it takes so long! The Smarttop product is easy to install and works well - one touch top, windows end up where you prefer, and can be operated with remote.