Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Honda
2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

We introduce our newest long-term road test vehicle, the 2016 Honda Civic Touring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2016
    I've test driven this car, an EX-L Navi. It was one of the best driving cars, compact, or not, that I've ever driven. It was comfortable, but handled well and is was quite serene inside, Unusually quiet for a Honda. The new turbo 4 moved with absolute authority and actually worked very well with the CVT. One of the more remarkable things for me was front seat comfort. It was very good with excellent adjustability and rear seat room was far better than other competitors in the segment. To say that my wife and I were impressed can only be underscored by the fact that it was better than the leftover 2015 Accord V6 coupe that we test drove just prior to driving this car.

All of that said, my only negative is the styling. The front end is OK, but the rear end is awkward at best. It would and should not, however, be a deal breaker for anyone. Test drive this car last. I assure you that you will be saving the best for last!
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    This car seems to offer a lot for the money, something that is usually said about a Hyundai/Kia. That said I just can't warm up to the styling, honda does so many things well but design is not one of them. They badly need some design direction for Honda's and Acuras. The Acura concept they showed in Detroit is a start but it is all in the execution.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Haha, YES!!! I have been looking at the Civic. Should be a fantastic car. The one thing you need to check on the is the pending-recall for the "potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure." This is a HUGE issue if your vehicle is affected. I'll be honest though, I'm hoping yours is so we can be updated about the "fix". Scary stuff.

Otherwise, can't wait to hear of your impressions and experiences. I'll likely be picking up an EX w/ Sensing model after our SUV is paid off in 2 years.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Also, look forward to hearing the Android Auto and ACC experiences.
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    Can't say I'm a fan of the dark painted wheel trend. That's going to look dated pretty quick and pick up loads of scratches. The overall styling kind of reminds me of the Ford escape circa 3 or 4 years ago... which was not good
  • lvgtilvgti Member Posts: 8
    KIRKHILLES1...The Honda Civic engine recall is only for the 2.0, not the turbo....
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    After initially inducing vomiting, this car's styling is growing on me a bit. Sad that you can't get the 6MT above the LX, but the LX is not that badly equipped. For me the deal-breaker is the (apparent) lack of a split-folding back seat. C'mon Honda, this is the type of cheap error GM used to make...
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited February 2016
    Very excited to have this car in the fleet. I've actually been trying to buy a Touring myself here in the SF bay area. However, it seems that demand is seriously outstripping supply as the dealer I went to didn't budge from OVER MSRP. Yes, I said OVER. Quite ridiculous. I've personally never bought a car in my life for over invoice price, so it was a shock to me that they flat out refused to deal.

My personal observations that annoy me about the car: 1. Why are there all those blank buttons around the shifter and to the left of the steering wheel? This is the Touring trim, which comes with everything. 2. The interior of the trunk has no grab handle to close it so you have to touch the outside of the trunk.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Front clip reminds me of Toyota & the rear a bit like Scion.
    Glad to see a turbo this time around. More midrange will make this a better vehicle overall.
    They'll sell millions of them.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Yes!! As a Honda salesman I always love Long-Term reviews of Honda products. Can't wait to see what you guys think of the new Civic. I've been really impressed with these cars so far.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2016
    Good performance and build quality but looks like butt. If they can take this and give it a cleaner look like the 2007 Honda Civic or 2005 Acura TL, it'd sell even more. The current Civic exterior appears as if it was already in an accident. Maybe a test mule got into a wreck and the designers thought it was an improvement.
  • nate001nate001 Member Posts: 102
    The Optima just got kicked to the curb (even if it is technically a midsize instead of a compact). After owning a Hyundai/Kia for a few years and now owning a Honda. I would probably drive the Optima once and then end of picking the Honda every time given the choice.

I also would not be surprised if someone on the Edmunds staff buys this car when the long term test is over.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    boff said:

After initially inducing vomiting, this car's styling is growing on me a bit. Sad that you can't get the 6MT above the LX, but the LX is not that badly equipped. For me the deal-breaker is the (apparent) lack of a split-folding back seat. C'mon Honda, this is the type of cheap error GM used to make...

Be patient! A Civic EX with the 1.5T and 6MT is confirmed for 2017 model year. To recap, EX-T trim has power moonroof, heated cloth seats, fog lights and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. That one will be the sweet spot for me.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Hmm, wonder how the brakes are going to hold up.
  • any1thereany1there Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2016
    "If they can take this and give it a cleaner look like the 2007 Honda Civic or 2005 Acura TL..."

I think the problem is the number of people who think that simply adding ever-more creases and curves equals "more style." A simple, clean, and well-proportioned body remains good looking well into the future, whereas the more complex, angular, and trendy styles become outdated more quickly. I, too, still find earlier, (seemingly-) simpler, Acura shapes very attractive, as well as current VW and Audi designs. The new Civic? 'Not bad, but I'm more interested in seeing the more-useful hatchback.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    When you talk about styling, you really need to consider things in context. Compared to other Hondas, this thing is a crown jewel.

I saw one parked on my street a while back and thought, "Wow, that is nice." I haven't thought that about a Honda in years -- and in the case of the Civic, since probably the 80's.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Excellent choice, both with the car and the selected powertrain. 6.7 to 60 from a non-Si Civic is just nuts, I'll be looking forward to your impressions of real world driving character. The last Civic ranked down with the Corolla for excitement, but this one looks like it will deliver both on utility and driving enjoyment. Shame about the styling. The front ends of both this and the redesigned Accord are really ugly.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I like the styling of the new Civic. It looks more expensive than it is.
  • accdguy13accdguy13 Member Posts: 30

Haha, YES!!! I have been looking at the Civic. Should be a fantastic car. The one thing you need to check on the is the pending-recall for the "potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure." This is a HUGE issue if your vehicle is affected. I'll be honest though, I'm hoping yours is so we can be updated about the "fix". Scary stuff.

Otherwise, can't wait to hear of your impressions and experiences. I'll likely be picking up an EX w/ Sensing model after our SUV is paid off in 2 years.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this model isn't affected - it was only the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engines. Not the 1.5 liter turbo

• seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Should be an interesting long termer, this generation Civic seems to be better engineered and has potential. It cracks me up how many people constantly chime in with comments about "boring styling, it never changes!" about VW and Audi, but fail to see the downsides of all the lines and creases in the Asian and American cars that seem to be hot for five minutes until everyone comes to their senses. There's something to be said for classic design and proper proportions, especially for long term ownership. Hey, as long as it's not willfully ugly, exterior looks are not that important. I'm more interested in whether Honda fixed their previous Civic deficiencies: indifferent low-RPM response, subpar NVH isolation, unsettled front end handling and artificial steering feel, and subpar seating comfort. If this car remains reliable and durable as past Civics while addressing the old deficiencies, it will be a world beater regardless of how people react to the styling.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    As I've seen these popping up on the streets I'm amazed how, despite borrowing some Crosstour styling cues, this is a pretty great looking car. Definitely the most interesting Civic in a long time.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

I like the styling of the new Civic. It looks more expensive than it is.

Even though your name is allthingshonda, we would understand if you were to remain diplomatically silent on this subject - we're all friends here...
  • adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    Love the new Civic. Love the new design. I'd buy one if I was in the low end market.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    I saw one for the first time a few days ago in dark blue. I liked the pictures but in person I am not sure. I dont get the point of giving a small sedan a sloping hatchback style roofline and not giving it a hatchback. I will need to see it in a different color, in blue I dont think I like the back end.
  • toustaurustoustaurus Member Posts: 1
    Form follows function, and this thing looks great! Roomy back seat, roomy trunk, slippery roofline. Almost enough to cure my penchant for hatchbacks and estates!
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    nagant said:

I saw one for the first time a few days ago in dark blue. I liked the pictures but in person I am not sure. I dont get the point of giving a small sedan a sloping hatchback style roofline and not giving it a hatchback. I will need to see it in a different color, in blue I dont think I like the back end.

There is a hatchback version coming in the fall.
  • accdguy13accdguy13 Member Posts: 30
    diigii said:

nagant said:

There is a hatchback version coming in the fall.
    I hear you - I felt the same way when I saw them up close at a local dealer... much better looking in pictures - although - i can't wait to see the coupe in person, and the SI. I am sure these will look better
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    My point still stands: Make a sedan look like a sedan and a hatchback look like a hatchback.....especially since sedans sell far more when they have a trunk-look to them. Honda should have learned that from the Crosstour.
  • scatteredsongscatteredsong Member Posts: 1
    Is the adaptive cruise control worth it? How often do you use it?