Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

With Heavy Heart, We Sell to CarMax - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Ford
imageWith Heavy Heart, We Sell to CarMax - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Breaking up is hard to do, especially when you're saying goodbye to a souped-up 2015 Ford Mustang GT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    Surprised it's not a little higher. I bought my 2011 GT in September 2011 with 10K miles, for $29,500 (original sticker was $39,000.

Not surprised the mods didn't add value - they rarely do unless you find the exact right person, but lots of guys that will mod their cars don't want to buy somebody else's modded car. Wonder how you guys would have done putting it back to stock and selling the parts separately.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The huge depreciation bodes well for the used car buyer. Get a 1-2 year old Mustang for nearly 50% of its original cost! And yes, mods definitely hurt a car's value. They are worthless on the used market.
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Why did you mention the Carmax price? Of course they are going to offer you just a tiny bit more, especially if you're not buying a new car then. They figured the $250 was enough for you to feel good about the drive ("extra $250 in my pocket"). In terms of the Carmax price, well, they DON'T want modifications, so that's where selling independently would get you more. Other CarMax listings are all over the place. A 2014 GT with only 3k miles is listed for $27k. A similar 2015 orange one is selling for $37k. I'd bet they'll list it for $35k.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    edited October 2016
    Wow. That's a nasty hit in the wallet.
    Makes a strong case for buying used if you have some confidence that the first owner didn't pound the ^## out of it.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120

Why did you mention the Carmax price? Of course they are going to offer you just a tiny bit more, especially if you're not buying a new car then. They figured the $250 was enough for you to feel good about the drive ("extra $250 in my pocket"). In terms of the Carmax price, well, they DON'T want modifications, so that's where selling independently would get you more. Other CarMax listings are all over the place. A 2014 GT with only 3k miles is listed for $27k. A similar 2015 orange one is selling for $37k. I'd bet they'll list it for $35k.

The author says they didn't tell Galpin about the Carmax quote. Unless that was edited after your comment.
  • mattjonesmattjones Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2016

Why did you mention the Carmax price? Of course they are going to offer you just a tiny bit more, especially if you're not buying a new car then. They figured the $250 was enough for you to feel good about the drive ("extra $250 in my pocket").

I didn't mention the Carmax price to the dealer, just to be sure the used car manager's offer wouldn't be influenced by what I already had. Otherwise, I'd totally agree with you about the $250. But since both places came up the same number independent of each other, I'm fairly certain that is just where the value lies.

Modifications are a strange lot. Some can in fact bring in a couple extra trade-in dollars - like a high quality tow hitch, tasteful wheel/tire upgrades, etc. Others can hurt a car's trade value - think cut springs, Fast and Furious spoilers, obnoxious exhaust systems. One thing for certain, though. You never get the amount you put into a mod back.

It doesn't hurt to hope though!~
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Wow, I figured the mods wouldn't do much for resale, but almost every review I've read about this generation of mustang has been glowing - and I see new mustangs all over the place. I just figured you'd get a strong price on it.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    So first question. Did y'all adjust the TMV Calculator to adjust for real market value?

Second, is there any used sports car that DOESN'T depreciate horribly? Everyone assumes a sports car is going to be joined, so it drives the price down in the used market.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Or any car period?

Mods rarely add value - occasionally they can help you sell a car faster. Even a "nice" towing rig would give me pause - what were they towing and how overweight were they?
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Another example of why I buy used. Today's cars are so good a 2-3 year old car with relatively low mileage is a great value.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    That's brutal...but the pace of depreciation would slow considerably after the first year. Everybody knows you get roasted trading in after one year, and only the very foolish - and Edmunds - do it.
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    It seems every time we read one of these the TMV is off, and Edmunds always gets less than their own TMV says they should. Does it ever lead Edmunds to conclude that whatever algorithm they use for the TMV and/or the data they use is simply wrong? And yet they continue to tout how great it is.
    throwback said:

Another example of why I buy used. Today's cars are so good a 2-3 year old car with relatively low mileage is a great value.

Its not necessarily smart anymore. We started our Honda Pilot search at Carmax. They had a 3 year old, 38k mile, out of warranty, used Pilot for $3,000 less than what we paid new (+ fees). Yep, less than 10% depreciation in 3 years. We then got additional cash back for accepting a 0.9% loan instead of the 2.9% we would've had if we bought used.

Every since the economy fallout, used car values have skyrocketed. The whole "depreciates 25% off the lot" is no longer even close to true for reliable, in demand cars. Now, of course that 50% depreciation from the i3 would make it a pretty good deal if you're willing to roll the dice on a BMW pure electric.
    ctpaul said:

It seems every time we read one of these the TMV is off, and Edmunds always gets less than their own TMV says they should. Does it ever lead Edmunds to conclude that whatever algorithm they use for the TMV and/or the data they use is simply wrong? And yet they continue to tout how great it is.

I wonder if the Edmunds TMV is for Private Sale prices. You're going to pay a premium for a no-pressure, instant cash offer from Carmax. No games like at dealerships and no BS games of trying to sell your car other ways.
    edited February 2016
    We have TMV for trade-in, private party and dealer retail.

We also have True Cost to Own for playing with depreciation numbers.

I've (helped) purchase one truck here and sold two cars in the last couple of years using craigslist. And yeah, even the easy deals are still a bit of a hassle compared to simply selling to a dealer.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited February 2016

We started our Honda Pilot search at Carmax. They had a 3 year old, 38k mile, out of warranty, used Pilot for $3,000 less than what we paid new (+ fees). Yep, less than 10% depreciation in 3 years.

you are using the wrong numbers.

whoever traded the 3 yr old pilot with 38k miles did not get the retail price for trade-in. subtract another $3-4k or so off the retail price and that might give you an idea as to what they got for trade-in. so, your 10% number is incorrect.

having said that, i generally agree that it makes more sense to buy a new toyota or honda vs one that is only 1 or 2 years old.

• bobmcnuggetbobmcnugget Member Posts: 27
    Not sure why everyone is saying its such a hit.. the car might sticker for $43k but you aren't paying that. You can get 7-10k off a new stang so drop isn't quite as bad.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486

Not sure why everyone is saying its such a hit.. the car might sticker for $43k but you aren't paying that. You can get 7-10k off a new stang so drop isn't quite as bad.

"All in all, our new long-termer carried an MSRP of $45,490, and that's what we paid Galpin Ford for the privilege of getting one of the first on the block."

while generally i agree with you, you have to remember they bought one of the first new '15 mustangs. back at the intro of S197 mustang i heard many stories of people buying new '05 mustangs over sticker... vs my new '06 at $250 over invoice and 0% for 72 months.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    s197gt said:

"All in all, our new long-termer carried an MSRP of $45,490, and that's what we paid Galpin Ford for the privilege of getting one of the first on the block."

while generally i agree with you, you have to remember they bought one of the first new '15 mustangs. back at the intro of S197 mustang i heard many stories of people buying new '05 mustangs over sticker... vs my new '06 at $250 over invoice and 0% for 72 months.
    Yep, so the REAL loss was at purchase time. If you are paying MSRP because its a brand new, "hot" car, then you need to understand that you're paying A LOT for that time premium. Looking at Truecar, a Mustang GT with about a $42k MSRP is showing an "average paid" of about $3,000 less than MSRP. Be able to wait another year and I'm sure $5k-$7k off is more reasonable.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Sorry to see it go. Sometime in the next couple years you need to get either a base V6 car or, preferably an EcoBoost version.

And PLEASE if you get an EB, skip the Recaros. We now have 3 different data points on these seats (Focus/Fiesta/Mustang) and will certainly have a 4th when you eventually add a Focus RS to the LT fleet. It would be nice to know how comfortable the standard seats are.
    Oh, and skip any black wheel option. The photo for this entry reminds me how much I hate those damn black wheels.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    hmm so at first i thought a performance pack ecoboost mustang for 29k new was the performance car bargain of the centry now i know getting a GT with performance pack is doable fur 30 grand if its a year old. nice!
    ctpaul said:

The TMV is not a fixed number, it will evolve over time as more data points become available. This is a 2015 model car and it is only early 2016. My personal experience with TMV a few years ago was that when I sold my 3 year old Subaru Forester the price I got was right in line with what TMV predicted.
  • adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    I would have taken the $27 250 from Ford as trade in on a new car. Because here in Ontario you don't have to pay tax on the trade in amount which is a whopping 13% sales tax. Maybe you should have ordered a GT350 even if you'd have to wait for a 2017 model?
    edited February 2016
    Good point, some states (and provinces/territories) punish people trying to sell privately.
  • chad11491chad11491 Member Posts: 1
    the catch here is no one really pays msrp for a mustang unless you're buying it exactly on release. I bought my Ruby Red 2015 with almost exactly the same sticker as Edmund's car and i paid 34 before taxes. GT Premium With Performance Pack (no recaros, so sticker was 42k). 27 from 34 is a 20% drop in value. That is not unusual at all.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I've been checking Carmax everyday and haven't seen your car listed yet. I wonder if they shipped it to a Ford dealer or to an auction? I'm curious what Carmax's opinion of modified cars is. I doubt they like to keep them in inventory. Anybody at Edmunds know the fate of the Mustang, or can provide the VIN so I can run a CARFAX Report? I'm curious..