Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steering Wheel Volume Control Has Problems of Its Own - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Honda
imageSteering Wheel Volume Control Has Problems of Its Own - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com's long-term 2016 Honda Civic has a new take on steering wheel volume controls that brings a problem of its own.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    "This annoyance doesn't significantly detract from the quality of the Civic..." This issue may not detract but how about the 2.0 engines starting on fire and the recent stop order...does that detract or perhaps have you question the "quality."
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    I can see where that would be an issue - really, the toggle on the steering wheel can usually change volume fast enough to suit me...and if not, there is still the one on the dash, if you have a car with an actual knob on the dash, that is...
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I don't know why they make things more complicated than need be. Its a steering wheel. You want TOUCH feel. 2 buttons. Up volume. Down volume. Hold down their one to make large movements. Make it the same way its been for as long as steering wheel controls have existed.

In terms of the Recall (now official), well, its going to happen. I'm surprised that Honda who is the "world’s largest engine manufacturer" has serious engine related problems and didn't catch it for 4 months of manufacturing. That being said, the reliability of the Civic is still VERY high with 7 straight years (before this year) of Consumer Reports' highest reliability rating, so its to be expected in a drastically new model. I would expect 2017s and especially 2018+ to be near bulletproof again.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited February 2016
    You don't have to qualify every criticism with "…but this is a fantastic car".

It's not the object of my fantasies -- not after having sat in one!

I knew the steering wheel controls were HORRIBLE at first glance! They're arguably the worst steering wheel controls of any car ever made! Just look at the trio beneath the 4-way pad! They're tiny, loose, and identical. Really, Honda????
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I've used this touch-sensitive pad and really liked it. As for the stop sale/recall- people are losing their minds over a teething problem for first year production. There has been one engine fire and one minor injury.

It's a part that wasn't installed in the 2.0L ONLY. At the Honda dealership where I work, the recall is being dealt with swiftly. Cars that were under the stop sale are back in inventory and customer cars are coming in for repair. Stuff happens in the first year. People are so quick to throw judgment without knowing the whole story.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I've not tried it, but this looks like another epic automotive MMI fail in the making.
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Apparently Honda has outsmarted themselves.
    Change some switchgear on the all-new Civic, screw it up.
    Update the Pilot, screw up the heated wheel.
    Attention to detail Boyz!!!
  • Options
    MCZCOKEMCZCOKE Member Posts: 18
    I see why you don't do long term on many Toyota's, you know they won't have any problems. :)
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    MCZCOKE said:

I see why you don't do long term on many Toyota's, you know they won't have any problems. :)

Except one of their long-termers DID have a problem with the steering wheel buttons:

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/2012/long-term-road-test/2012-toyota-camry-definitely-broken-buttons.html
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited February 2016
    I agree with Carlos up to a point. But I've never made an accidental adjustment in the time I've spent with this sedan or the Civic Coupe I reviewed over the course of a week. This swipe control works, and it matches the sweep of my thumb pretty well, but so far I've been left with the impression that it doesn't respond in a consistent and predictable way. Like a box of chocolates, I'm never sure what I'm going to get. Pushing a thumb against a toggle is more consistent - and gives better feedback. But my opinion isn't yet fully baked. I'm willing to let this one mature a bit.

But that doesn't matter to me as much as the main touch-sensitive volume control on the stereo faceplate itself, my natural go-to volume adjustment spot. This one is horrible for a number of reasons that range from look-at-me distraction and response time to inconsistency and fingerprints. And it's horribleness is compounded by the presence of an inviting knob placed exactly beneath where you'd expect a volume to be--except that it's a temperature control knob.

Making it all worse is the knowledge that chunky and easy-to-use volume and tune knobs do exist on the base non-touchscreen 4-speaker audio system that has a 5-inch display-only screen. Get an LX and all of these issues go away. And Honda looks bad here because Toyota manages to pair their newest (emphasis on newest - older designs have been lackluster) Entune touchscreen with volume and tune knobs in a way that greatly simplifies workflow and maximizes eyes-on-the-road time.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Does this volume slide work with gloves on? In winter, many drivers start their cars with gloves on. Give me the knob back, please!
  • Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    If the slide adjustment on the steering wheel volume toggle is the "big problem" with this approach, there's a simple solution... the feature can be disabled if it doesn't suit you. Then the control becomes a standard toggle. I've used steering wheel volume controls nearly exclusively since they've been available, so the lack of a volume knob isn't the big issue for me that others consider it to be. That said, there's enough demand for a knob that Honda should address it.