Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What's the lowdown on runflats (specifically on Siennas)?

airweaverairweaver Member Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in Toyota
About a year ago I purchased a 2005 Sienna. It wasn't long before I began to experience tire pressure issues. Now I deal with slow leaks in a few. One has been fixed, but here is the real issue:

Apparently, from what I've been reading, my Sienna may have orginally come from the dealer with run flats that have since been replaced with standard tires. I'm now running Grand Tour 215/65r16's all around. These tires were practically brand new when I bought the van and the tread still has a lot of meat. I've already repaired one (did a full remount), another has what I'm pretty sure is a leaky valve stem, but all three of the others leak very slowly over time, probably leaky bead seals.

I decided to check on prices around the area to have all four tires remounted and filled with nitrogen.

I hit a snag with the very first enquirey. The first shop I contacted claims that if the tires are not run flats, my only option (due to what they said are liability issues), was to buy four new tires, all run flats.

So far, from everything I've been reading, what I've been told by these guys is a bunch of whooey. What say you all?

EDIT: I forgot to mention one other thing:

When I first started checking tire pressures I found all four tires had been filled to 45 lbs. until just recently I've kept them all at 45. While in for some accident repair, I asked the shop to check the tires (different shop from the above). They said that they had let ten pounds out of three, and filled the other to 35 based on the door sticker. I'm just now realizing the reason they may have been at 45 is because they aren't run flats and have softer sidewalls. I know it handles incredibly well at 45. 35 is okay, but if I'm right about the sidewall difference maybe they should be harder? Any insight into that situation would be appreciated as well.
I hate cars. They're not friendly and you can't shovel their poop.

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Tire Rack says it's a bunch of hooey too.

Can You Put Non-Run-Flat Tires on Run-Flat Wheels?
  • Options
    airweaverairweaver Member Posts: 2
    stever said:

The Tire Rack says it's a bunch of hooey too.

Can You Put Non-Run-Flat Tires on Run-Flat Wheels?

That was one of the articles I read. Didn't seem to be very clear to me so...

By the way I'm about to add an edit to the OP. I forgot something.
    I hate cars. They're not friendly and you can't shovel their poop.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2016
    Sidewall pressure is the max for that particular tire - the tire pressure on the door jamb is the pressure that Toyota recommends for the best combination of performance, wear, safety and mpg.

There may be a difference in recommended pressures between run-flats and regular tires for the Sienna. That info should also be listed in the label on the door jamb. I don't know much about run-flats.

There should be some info in section 7 of the owner's manual and more in the tire warranty guide, if you have one of those.

Here's a recent thread about Toyota tire pressures with more links.