Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bad Stereo Install Gets Worse - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Dodge
imageBad Stereo Install Gets Worse - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

The aftermarket stereo install on Edmunds.com's long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 didn't go well, and it's getting worse.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    "Judging by the overwhelmingly positive response to a previous post, maybe we'll add some more Dynamat, too. "

Huh? I thought it was completely pointless when you really just need to replace the exhaust. Isn't that what everyone was saying too?
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

"Judging by the overwhelmingly positive response to a previous post, maybe we'll add some more Dynamat, too. "

Huh? I thought it was completely pointless when you really just need to replace the exhaust. Isn't that what everyone was saying too?

Sarcasm!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315

He's being sarcastic. I hope
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    First, I'd be ripping that installation shop a new one. But, if I remember correctly, wasn't that stereo head-unit some sort of pre-production/introductory model? Maybe, at least where the head-unit goes, the parts weren't production pieces. They may have a better design now. As for the rest of that install, it was obviously shoddy work.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Sounds like the install of a single-DIN JVC radio I put in my 2001 Camry. I have a big gap there, and it used to vibrate somethin' fierce. I finally forced into place to where it no longer vibrates. Twice now I've dropped a CD into the dash gap while looking for the opening. The videos make car stereo installation look so easy..
    @ebeaudoin : PLEASE tell me that the JVC radio you put in the 2001 Camry came from a Wal-Mart & was purchased during a Black Friday Sale...because I literally feel a tear forming in the corner of my eye from a sense of cheap brotherhood towards you.
  • ckuersckuers Member Posts: 21
    Have you even given the shop a chance to fix the issues? Playing devil's advocate here, but could the installer possibly have been new, or poorly trained. Either way, I'd think a phone call to them explaining your issues might spur them to make things right. Maybe they got a defective kit, who knows?

Blasting them for all the internet (well, all of Edmund's readers) to see before giving them a chance to fix the problems is poor form in my opinion.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I have no problem blasting shops that performed shoddy service. This is why I'm loathe to ever upgrade anything on my car. I don't trust people enough.
    @ckuers : They took good money for a poor service, so I don't feel a lot of sympathy for them. One mistake is one thing, but a series of mistakes is a pattern that shows either a lack of concern for quality or a lack of skill. However, they don't say "Well, we're not really THAT good, we'll charge you less." It doesn't matter what you do right, only what you've done wrong.

@schen72 : I get what you're saying about aftermarket upgrades, but it's not like the manufacturers do that great either. Ford, GM, Toyota, & FCA have all been hit by recalls. I've had to take my 2013 F-150 in a couple of times for warranty work. And my boss's 2015 Ram 2500 SLT Laramie Lonestar has spent more time in for warranty work than it has on the road. In fact, they just picked it up for ANOTHER service call.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    If you don't want to do this kind of work on your own, contact a reputable body shop.
    Those operations tear down countless interiors.
    Find an experienced outfit you will probably have a quality result.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    That is what you get for choosing a stereo shop from a penny saver ad! Get a 1000 watt stereo and speakers for $50!! I guess that actually leads to wonder...where do you get a quality stereo installation anyways because I went to a penny saver place too!
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I'd never have someone else do my installs. Not when I can go to a particular online company and get all the stuff I need to a complete install in one place including tools. I've done various installs over the years and seen various and yours is one of the worst I've seen. I'd rather save the install fee and put it towards a more powerful amp or better head unit.