Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Windshield water spots

gblumgblum Member Posts: 1
Does anyone have any hints on removing dried
waterspots on a windshield. Windex will not remove
them. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    suzieq3suzieq3 Member Posts: 10
    Try RAIN X. The stuff is awesome.
  • Options
    cdg19cdg19 Member Posts: 15
    You could also try vinegar, but rain x is probably the best since it lasts.
  • Options
    GATESRGATESR Member Posts: 13
    Some auto supply stores and catalogues advertise glass polish that is perfectly safe to use and will remove the most stubborn of water spots. Just rub on the paste, buff and rinse off.
  • Options
    tonewheeltonewheel Member Posts: 47
    Be certain that the spots are water and not fallout or acid rain. My glass was etched with acid rain spots and nothing would remove them. A glass shop suggested using a light polishing compound, so I used Meguiars No. 2 with beautiful results. Did a final wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove all traces of the compound. Try this if conventional glass polish doesn't work.
  • Options
    ricky4524ricky4524 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Astro van had alot of dried water spots and
    while claying the van in preparation for a new
    and long awaited detailed job I also clayed the
    windshield and all of the windows and guess what?
    It removed all the water spots!!! I followed up
    with a couple of coats of rain-x..
  • Options
    spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    A Trico Windshield-Wiper rep suggested the use of Bon-Ami several years ago. This household powdered cleaner has been on the market for many years. It does work pretty well in removing spots and oil film; it does not scratch as one might expect from a powdered cleaner.

However, I don't know how Bon-Ami compares with Rain-X or other recent products; has anyone made this comparison?
  • Options
    drscopemdrscopem Member Posts: 83
    Hi:
    Please be aware that there are 2 Bon Ami powders. Bon Ami CLEANSER is in the round can and contains feldspar and calcite. It can scratch windshields (it is designed for porcelain surfaces and tile.). You want Bon Ami CLEANING POWDER in the rectangular can or the CLEANING CAKE (same formula - only like a bar of soap). They contain feldspar and soap. NASA used them to clean the windows in Skylab. I use the powder (which is cheaper than the cake) to clean my exterior car windows. They will also defog mirrors, etc.
  • Options
    lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    Amen to what drscopem has warned. I once followed advice to try baking soda. It scratched the windshield, and the damage was never repairable. I'd say that any advice to use an abrasive powder to clean a windshield should be ignored.
  • Options
    billy9billy9 Member Posts: 19
    How about 000 steel wool? It worked great for overspray and took off the water spots at the same time.
  • Options
    jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    My sister in law sold my wife a bottle of Dry-Wash n Guard. (It's Crap!!!!!!!!!!).

Anyway, I have found that it works good on my windshield. It's like a wax (a cheap one at that), but when it drys, I buff the windshield clean, and it sparkles. No spots or anything.

Jim
  • Options
    pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    I use Zaino Glass Polish. It Works!
  • Options
    606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    I used to have recurrent problems with hard water spots.....the best method I have found is #0000 steel wool. This may scratch your paint but will not scratch glass (#000 might). Once nice and clean put on a couple of coats of Rain-X and repeat again with washes. If the Rain-x is maintained you will likely not have to repeat the steel wool
  • Options
    autoexamsautoexams Member Posts: 4
    best thing for waterspots on glass is bon-ami & a soft wash cloth. it is recommended by most car companies for warranty complaints. it will not damage glass.
  • Options
    zhizhi Member Posts: 3
    my 99 corolla right front nozzle is leaking water onto the surface of the hood
    after i stop the engine or parking my car under the sun. having been back to
    the dealer three times, first time they said no problem, second time they
    changed the nozzle, third time they maded a hole on the lip of the washing
    fluid reservoir, but the problem still there, who has any idea why it is happening.
    thank advance
  • Options
    doickledoickle Member Posts: 12
    We have a smooth top electric range. My wife has a bottle of Cook Top cleaning creame for smooth top ranges. I was having problems with getting water spots and crud off my windshield so I thought of using this stove cleaning stuff. Tried it and it worked real well, made the windshield shine.
  • Options
    Guru2uGuru2u Member Posts: 3
    I've found that a simple solution of white vinegar and distilled water is very effective at removing hard water spots on the windshield. I live in an area with extremely hard water and have found this remedy works extremely well in addition to being very cheap!

It's also very good for removing the film buildup on the inside of your windshield. Windex and other glass cleaners only seem to smear the film around.
This discussion has been closed.