Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Bringing a Little Color to Death Valley - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Mazda

imageBringing a Little Color to Death Valley - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

A roadster like our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is a great car for descending into an early spring bloom in Death Valley. But as a long-distance runner, it leaves a bit to be desired.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Nice travelogue, sir. I think I'm getting sympathy pain in my eardrums.

I've never been to Death Valley during a superbloom, it must be amazing. However, I can recommend the Antelope Valley poppy preserve to get your local fix of mass wildflower blooms. They should be having a pretty good Spring coming up...closer to home, too.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Interesting how the Miata's navigation system is a dealer installed accessory. It seems the hardware is all there (GPS receiver) as it can display coordinates and elevation, but I bet the dealer has to load the maps for you. Probably for a high price.
  • Options
    cubsv8shocubsv8sho Member Posts: 5
    I think it's ridiculous that you navigation isn't standard yet purists ( myself included) still have to live with a tablet sticking in out of the dash. Also, Mr. Counts you need to man up about driving a real car such as this, complaining about the comfort/ noise is just a good example of why you shouldn't be allowed the keys to this or any other performance vehicle.
  • Options
    ProfRobBobProfRobBob Member Posts: 8
    schen72 said:

Interesting how the Miata's navigation system is a dealer installed accessory. It seems the hardware is all there (GPS receiver) as it can display coordinates and elevation, but I bet the dealer has to load the maps for you. Probably for a high price.

You can buy a Mazda Navigation SD card for about $300 that you insert next to the front center console pocket. Insert the card and you have navigation!
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    No ringing ears with the PRHT
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    The optional status of the navigation is a thing at the Club level, which is what we have. You get the screen and the controller, but the map data is a dealer add-on. One level below is the Sport, which doesn't have the screen or the ability to add nav. One level up is the Grand Touring, which comes with the same screen and controller as the Club, but with navigation loaded and operational. Frankly, I like the Club's approach: you can add nav if you wnt or you can delete it if you'd rather use your smartphone. Pay for what you use, kind of thing.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    As for the ear ringing, this is a convertible. Top down, heat up, hat on, and, if you like, some light ear plugs.

• Options

True, but then you lose the ultra-quick manual top. And it looks like you-know-what with the top up. Commit to the convertible concept!

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i heard dynamat on the convertible top can help.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Very nicely written. On occasion, I visit family 10 hours away and imagine what it would be like in a Miata. Hmmm... now I have some idea, but I think I'm hard-core than most. I might still do it.

It's also nice to see the Miata can hold 3: you, your wife, and dog. What did they think of the ride?

Anyway, looking forward to more of Reese's pieces. :)
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    How can I get a job there? That sounds just about a perfect place to work.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Nice write up. Did your wife complain about the noise also? If not, well...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a joke here about the drone being another feature of the Miata thus enabling one to be able to ignore spouses. But we won't go there. :D
  • Options

True, but then you lose the ultra-quick manual top. And it looks like you-know-what with the top up. Commit to the convertible concept!
    When I shopped for mine, I preferred the aesthetic of the soft top, but prefer the 'solidity' of the PRHT for when it is parked. I live in Venice... And actually I think it looks great in black with the CS model. The only time the top is up on mine while driving is if it is raining.
    I'm cool with waiting 25 seconds for the top to fold.
    ;)
  • Options
    dinpdxdinpdx Member Posts: 3
    You drove to Death Valley without a spare tire? Risky.
  • Options
    photobob15photobob15 Member Posts: 3
    Drove mine 2000 miles with the top down on a recent trip...no ringing no seat discomfort
  • Options

Drove mine 2000 miles with the top down on a recent trip...no ringing no seat discomfort

Will someone please answer that phone?