Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Feels Expensive - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2016 in Honda
imageFeels Expensive - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Our 2016 Honda Civic might be a little more expensive compared to some of its competition, but it feels much more expensive from behind the wheel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, even the base LX model is quite well equipped just missing a lot of the cool tech stuff (like Android Auto, touchscreen), plus cool stuff like Alloy Wheels and Moonroof. Its quite a deal at just about any trim level (although the Touring starts getting up there).
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    How quiet is it compared to the others in its class? Did Honda finally fix this issue? The Pilot touring model comes with additional sound deadening that the rest of the Pilot models. Is this also true for the Civic?
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Dang, I must be getting old: $27k for a Civic? Whoosh.
  • Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2016
    I briefly drove an LX and EX-T last week, and agree that it is head and shoulder above from the 2013 Civic my gf drives. I am tempted to replace my 04 TSX with it, but I may hold out to see what the Si can do, or wait for 2017 for the first year bugs to be worked out. What I find impressive is all trims have the brake hold that I first sampled in a TLX I had as a loaner. Not even the brochure mentions this luxury feature but Honda started it in the HRV.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Yeah, even the base LX model is quite well equipped just missing a lot of the cool tech stuff (like Android Auto, touchscreen), plus cool stuff like Alloy Wheels and Moonroof. Its quite a deal at just about any trim level (although the Touring starts getting up there).

The EX has all of that just above the LX trim.

• Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @mrvtecski,
    I'm actually surprised Honda has only just started adding a brake hold feature. That has been pretty much standard fare for more automakers for the last 5 years.
  • Options
    amg55njamg55nj Member Posts: 1

@mrvtecski,
    I'm actually surprised Honda has only just started adding a brake hold feature. That has been pretty much standard fare for more automakers for the last 5 years.

I don't think it has. Many cars including my 328i has a pull brake. I think this is a feature we are just seeing starting to creep into lower priced cars. Good on Honda to add it across the entire Civic lineup.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Electric ebrake, yes, but brake Hold is definitely not standard fare.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @amg55nj,
    I'm not talking about electronic parking brakes. That is entirely unrelated to a brake-hold function.

@mrvtecski,
    I was not talking about electronic parking brakes, I was talking about basic brake holding functionality which is EVERYWHERE now. However, I now understand what you are talking about after I did a brief Google search. You are right, that is definitely not standard fare. I had no idea Honda had adopted this feature. Honestly, I'm surprised more have not. MB has been offering a feature similar to this for a decade now and it can be extremely convenient in certain situations.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Brake hold is not everywhere and it's not a common standard feature. Considering what a MB costs it better have features that are not available on a Civic. With that being said I think the Civic Touring has more features than a MB CLA.

I don't think the price of the Civic is outrageous. What is outrageous is the price of new pickup trucks. The LT F-150, for instance, is $50,000 and it's an XLT mid-level model. For the $27,000 Civic touring you get full LED lighting, Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Lane Keeping and automatic collision braking, front and rear heated seats, sunroof etc. To get a similarly equipped F-150 (no Android or Apple interface or collision warnings at any price) you will have to cough up nearly 70 grand. Keep in mind that once you go past the cab there is nothing there, just an empty bed. There is a reason trucks are cash cows for automakers, if you pay full sticker price they make nearly $20,000 profit. Even heavily discounted they still make a good 10 grand profit on each one sold.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I would be very content to have this Civic as a daily driver and not feel the need to constantly wonder if I should've stretched for a more expensive midsize.
    Consumers have got to get over thinking that "nicer" equals "bigger". Compact cars have evolved to deliver much more usable space. For a lot of buyers they're really right-sized. And with increased feature content and better driving characteristics than in the past, they're no longer what you buy when you can't afford a nicer car; they are nicer cars.
  • Options
    I mean it's basically cruise control for the brakes, very handy feature to have!
  • Options
    ianrsmithianrsmith Member Posts: 1
    This article is misleading either by design or just poorly researched. $27K is for the Touring trim level (top of the range). The LX (entry level trim) starts at just over $19K
  • Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    ianrsmith said:

This article is misleading either by design or just poorly researched. $27K is for the Touring trim level (top of the range). The LX (entry level trim) starts at just over $19K

While I agree that it's potentially misleading, I believe that's unintentional. It can be misinterpreted because you have to be aware of the author's perspective to interpret it correctly. When he says:

"There has been plenty of discussion about the cost of our 2016 Honda Civic. With a base price of just over $27,000, it's on the expensive side for a sedan in its class."

... since he references "the cost of OUR 2016 Honda Civic", it's clear to me that rather than talking about the entire Civic range, he's talking about the test unit, which is the "just over $27000" Touring model.

If he reworded it as:

"There has been plenty of discussion about the cost of our 2016 Honda Civic, which is the Touring model with a base price of just over $27,000. As such, it's on the expensive side for a sedan in its class."

... it would clarify that the "base price" that he listed is for the Touring model, not the entire lineup.

Not misleading nor poorly researched, I believe, just potentially subject to misinterpretation.
  • Options
    accdguy13accdguy13 Member Posts: 30
    My 2015 Lexus doesn't have brake hold and cost more than double the most expensive Civic available. To offer this feature as standard equipment is proof of how far Honda has come.

@mrvtecski,