Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Could Reduce the Guilt for Driving To Get the Mail - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Chevrolet
Could Reduce the Guilt for Driving To Get the Mail - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

For short trips, there's a lot less guilt involved when you're driving a 2016 Chevrolet Volt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    And a short trip like that puts a lot of wear on an ice, being cold doesn't just put out extra emissions, it's bad in lots of ways.

There's a study that showed out west plugins are a win due to the nuclear and hydro power sources. In the Midwest being mostly coal generation, a plugin has a larger carbon footprint than an efficient gas car.
  • Options
    djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    @tom_in_mn First I doubt their numbers, there are simply too many efficiency losses using an ICE, and they probably fail to account for the catalytic converters to warm up, but most importantly, they are probably just counting the emissions from the engine and not the entire process, i.e. the extraction of the fuel, processing and transport. While coal also has these issues, they are at much lower level, not to mention that transmitting power through power lines is much greener than delivered by truck to a gas station and that the generation can be done in rural areas and at off peak times (a good deal of electricity is simply wasted at night). I have never seen a study that says otherwise when using this "cradle-to-grave" technique. Perhaps you can share a link?