Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Arms Fit Fine - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Mazda
Arms Fit Fine - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Ron Montoya is wrong. You can have arms and drive the new Miata.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    You win, ergonomics look fine from the superior illustration.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    Looks like Ron and Mark shift by grabbing "neck" of the shifter. Mike grabs the knob of the shifter, and increases the area under his forearm.

No puffy shirts for them!!

Still, this was a back-handed compliment. Lack of power? Cramped cabin? Lawn-chair seats, and soulless sound?? I know, it was written in good fun.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Isn't a Miata supposed to be sort of close fitting and the opposite of a puffy shirt?
  • Options
    rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31

Looks like Ron and Mark shift by grabbing "neck" of the shifter. Mike grabs the knob of the shifter, and increases the area under his forearm.

No puffy shirts for them!!

Still, this was a back-handed compliment. Lack of power? Cramped cabin? Lawn-chair seats, and soulless sound?? I know, it was written in good fun.

This is true @wheelmccoy. I hold the shifter like a Street Fighter joystick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTSY-mgUqE

Magrath seems to grip it like a baseball and has a weird "hover arm" going. In stop and go conditions, I usually rest my arm on the console and drive one handed, since I know I'll be shifting often.

-Ron Montoya
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    the forearm in your diagram is freakishly long
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I've never driven this car, but I've been watching just about every road test video I can find. Bumping into the "command" knob/button has been mentioned on several of them, so it is a real issue for at least some drivers. I've always appreciated what the MX-5 offers in terms of driving fun, but never really warmed up to the styling - too "cute". But this one turns that around, I really like how this one looks. It's sort of a mini "Ferrariguar", especially in red. I've never even liked convertibles, but this one just seems "right". It's too expensive new, but I could see myself seriously looking for one of these 4-5 years from now.
  • Options
    veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    Could someone not have sat in the car and had their picture taken?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think someone stole the puffy shirt from the photographer's props bag so they decided to 'shop it.