Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Passes the Tough Mudder Test, Sort of. - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2016 in Ford
imagePasses the Tough Mudder Test, Sort of. - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Ford F-150 is wrapping up its time with us but it's still being used all the time and for all sorts of muddy services.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    geezermikegeezermike Member Posts: 22
    Exactly the write up I like the most: evaluation, perception, and comparison to help put it all into perspective and give me a point of reference in my own experiences.

Love the Ram ride and the EcoDiesel. No other ride even comes close empty or towing. But the 2.7 as an $800 option (vs. like $4000 for EcoDiesel engine with its mandatory options) is a lot easier to live with. If Ford could only get the MPG up to 20+, I would live with the seats and ride.
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2016
    I haven't found many luxury cars I've owned or driven that match my RAM 1500 Laramie EcoD for comfort and quiet on road trips. It has taken over as the 'must drive' for anything over a 50 mile run in our household, The seat cooling in the RAM is top notch as well...Although not sure I'd want Tough Mudder competitors sitting directly on the black perforated leather without a FULL clean up...Also, hard to get below 20 mpg no matter where and how you drive and pretty hard to get below 24 mpg on a true road trip.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I'm no engineer but I think the weak spot in the Ford's ride quality is the light weight aluminum body. All trucks ride better when they're is a load in the bed. Solid axle with leaf springs and most of the weight up front makes for a jittery ride unloaded. Ford made this worst with the light weight aluminum bed. There is now even less weight in the rear.

The Ram is the exception with it's rear coil springs which rides better than most cars. However there is always a trade off. Rams when loaded similarly to a Chevy or Ford will squat considerably more and the ride will suffer more than in the Chevy or Ford and they can't haul as much in the bed. Rams top out at 1,700lbs, Chevy 2,200lbs and Ford an impressive 3,000lbs.