Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting Estimates for a New Windshield: Part 2 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Mazda
Getting Estimates for a New Windshield: Part 2 - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

We finally got price quotes for a new windshield for our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata. The process had its fair share of hiccups.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    Is Edmunds in a time warp? All the posts have a 2015 date posted.
  • gadrevuegadrevue Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2016
    Our "top of the line" (~$60k) 2016 MDX just suffered from road debris and the local shop wanted $410 while the dealer wants $1583. I asked the dealer why it was so high and he claimed that 3rd parties sometimes puts in the wrong windshield without the necessary tech for the cameras, etc to work. The glass shop said they ordered based on VIN and it can't be wrong. Dealer said he gets these back all the time after 3rd parties do it wrong. My insurance deductible is $500 so either way I'm out $400 to $500. I think I want go with dealer just to save time not having to wait to do it twice and associated risks. Any thoughts on this?
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    gadrevue, the dealer is using OEM glass while that price is almost certainly third party glass of unknown providence. And it is awfully cheap, even taking into account a dealer's usually higher rates. Since you have a deductible, you might as well go for the dealer and get a known good.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    gadrevue - our 2013 Pilot only cost $277 installed for Pilkington glass with dimming, but I'd bet your Touring MDX has Rain Sensing technology as well as others, so $410 probably isn't correct. Worth checking though - I wouldn't file a claim on your insurance if you don't have to.
  • adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    There are definitely different grades of glass just like with Tires so cheaper isn't alwasy best but saying OEM sure puts everyone on an even footing. Good going. Problem is as a consumer I have no way to tell the different grades apart. Like if they promised one kind and installed another I'd never know. Can we get a lesson on reading glass codes like how we all know how to read tires?
  • craigo7craigo7 Member Posts: 51
    adantium said:

There are definitely different grades of glass just like with Tires so cheaper isn't alwasy best but saying OEM sure puts everyone on an even footing. Good going. Problem is as a consumer I have no way to tell the different grades apart. Like if they promised one kind and installed another I'd never know. Can we get a lesson on reading glass codes like how we all know how to read tires?

This is what I mean. If one has a deductible and the third party and OEM cost are similar as a result, might as well get the OEM and not worry about what grade of windshield you're getting.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    adantium said:

My understanding is that you'll get one of 3 windshields. One from PPGW (PPG) or Pilkington which are OEM manufacturers and make high quality glass, or you'll get Safelite and get their Chinese made windshields which vary significantly in quality. Just Google them and read the stories.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i'm not so scared of the less expensive stuff offered by safelite. i had a company car (ford) whose OE glass came with some kind of smudge/imperfection on the driver's side since new. it looked like you could clean it off with a cloth... except you couldn't. was kind of annoying.

eventually a rock smashed the windshield and of course my employer choose the cheapest option from safelite.

it was perfectly fine and i observed no noticeable imperfections. still, the installer DID say he would choose the pilkington/ppw option for his own car. i'm not so sure.

you can always inspect the windshield before they install it on your car and if you find something wrong they will bring you another. our mazda cx-9 has three chips we have gotten repaired. if i ever replace it i might very well chose the cheap option and inspect it before installation.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited May 2016
    if you get it done at the dealer i would get it in writing that the glass will have the acura brand on the glass to prove it is OE. if they are going to use an OE-equivalent/OES or OEM (there is a difference) then why would you pay more when you can get the same thing at an independent shop?

i'd almost never go dealer. glass shops do these installations every day and they will come with a warranty. many dealers farm this work out as well.
    gadrevue said:

I think I want go with dealer just to save time not having to wait to do it twice and associated risks. Any thoughts on this?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My concern with replacement glass is that the windshield is a structural component of a car. May not be the best place to cheap out (on the glass or the installer).

On a little convertible like the Miata though, some Saran wrap is probably good enough. :)
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    stever said:

My concern with replacement glass is that the windshield is a structural component of a car. May not be the best place to cheap out (on the glass or the installer).

On a little convertible like the Miata though, some Saran wrap is probably good enough. :)

On a car like this in which a lot of the rollover protection is on that front bulkhead/A-pillar assembly, I would absolutely insist upon the best glass replacement and the best installer.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    My understanding is that you'll get one of 3 windshields. One from PPGW (PPG) or Pilkington which are OEM manufacturers and make high quality glass, or you'll get Safelite and get their Chinese made windshields which vary significantly in quality.

Agreed. I just had the windshield replaced on my Acura by Safelite and it's PGW glass that is identical to the Acura windshield it replaced except for the Acura logos (PGW logos instead). Even the little detail of the cutout in the tint on the bottom of the windshield for the ambient light sensor for the headlights and climate control. Pretty sure the OEM glass is made by PGW. PGW is also producing the Gorilla Glass windshield for the upcoming Ford GT.
  • bethrjacobsbethrjacobs Member Posts: 1
    My 2014 Miata gets chips in the windshield practically every time some drives by me in either direction can you put something on it to prevent this?