Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Three Days Will Cure What Ails Ya - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in Mazda
Three Days Will Cure What Ails Ya - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

It took me five months to take the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata home for a weekend, and I have no idea why I waited so long. This car is awesome.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    There is no reason that the Miata should ride badly, even with the relatively short wheel base. My 45 year old MGB-GT, which is just as small and has a live axle, has a very comfortable ride, even on bumpy roads.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Great post, Cameron. I appreciate your discernment between inherent flaws and hidden/unexpected flaws.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I still think this is the type of car that begs for the small turbocharged 4 cylinder engine now popping up everywhere. Imagine how quick it would be if you could drop the 1.5 Turbo engine from the Civic in the Miata.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Needs a V8 implant. A Miatrolet..
  • Options
    sinna46sinna46 Member Posts: 9
    People asking for more motor, have you even driven one?

I have not so I can't say if it needs more power or not, but I am excited about the hardtop model and glad to hear someone 6' 4" can make it work in the cabin. I am a pretty limber 6' 2", but still worry about comfort on longer road trips.
  • Options
    delta77delta77 Member Posts: 1
    I am an inch taller and was disappointed I couldn't fit, so I'll keep my NA with the seat bolted to the floor. :)
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    edited May 2016
    I have never drive one, and I do "get it" that this car is not about outright speed and performance, but I do think a modest increase in power would go a long way towards quieting one of the few common criticisms of the Miata. I'm not talking about squeezing a V8 into it, or a 300 hp turbo 4 - I actually think that much power would rob the car of it's "everyday sports car that you can push hard without getting arrested" personality. There are other cars out there whose mission is mind-blowing performance. But if Mazda could fit the 2.5 in it, or a turbo that brought it up to 200 hp, I think that would be plenty. Almost across the board, people seem to wish Mazdas had just a little bit more power. Mazda knows you don't need 450 hp to make a car enjoyable, but it seems like everything they offer just begs for another 30-50 to really be "just right" instead of "just adequate".

On the other hand - I would LOVE to see them come out with another sports car that was more mid-size that could be a genuine "grand touring" type with a magic chassis balance and THAT one could have a 300 hp turbo. I think the "zoom-zoom" brand has been missing something that truly backs that statement up for a long time now. Sorry, but as quick as the Mazdaspeed 3's have been I don't really think that should be their performance halo car. And I know they're working on a new rotary powered concept - but honestly, ditch the rotary. Unless it's Earth shattering in its performance, superbly efficient, and gets rid of all the emissions problems, it's going to fail again. Just do what everyone else is and come up with a really good turbo 4, and put it in another terrific handling chassis and suspension with a more aggressive yet graceful "Kodo" coupe body around it and it's another win. Do something that genuinely competes with the EcoBoost Mustang, there's no need to go after the top end GT's and Camaros, etc. I think that would be another "sensible" sports car that would be a little more practical than the Miata. I'd seriously consider buying one.