Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I Prefer the M Sport Steering Wheel - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2016 in BMW
imageI Prefer the M Sport Steering Wheel - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Our 2016 BMW 340i is the first BMW I've driven that has the standard steering wheel instead of the M Sport one. The normal wheel doesn't feel as good.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2016
    Damn, if you add the M sport package to your existing configuration you exceed $60k. For a 3 series! That is not even an M car! Why not skip all that options and get the M3?
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "Our goal with the 340i was to get the most luxurious version of the 3 Series that we could. Unfortunately, that meant leaving the box for the M Sport package unchecked and its excellent steering wheel absent."

Wait...why? What other options does getting that package preclude you from getting?
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    @longtimelurker-- I don't think they're saying that having the M Sport steering wheel makes other options unavailable, I believe they're saying that given the choice of vehicles available, the most luxurious one happened not to have that sporty option. Remember, Edmunds has this vehicle as a press loaner from BMW. They had to pick from whatever was in the pool.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Yes, M Sport package is a must. But not because of the steering wheel, although it does make a difference. The biggest reason to get M Sport package in any BMW is because of the amazing manual shifter. It is MUCH better than the regular one. Shorter throws, better feel and smoother gear changes. I once had two identical 3ers, one M Sport and the other Sport. There was a huge difference in my perception of the two cars. The M Sport was so much more pleasant to drive due to its fantastic shifter. My current BMWs are all M Sport for this reason.

People who drive the automatic would never know, of course.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    The ETK does not show any M Sport specific shift linkage parts- are you sure you aren't referring to the BMW Performance SSK? Also, how does the shifter handle HPDEs?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    black07gtiblack07gti Member Posts: 5
    The standard BMW wheel doesn't even feel like real leather. You can get much better wheels in much less expensive cars. For me, if the wheel feels cheap, it totally diminishes the overall experience, especially at this price.
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455

@longtimelurker-- I don't think they're saying that having the M Sport steering wheel makes other options unavailable, I believe they're saying that given the choice of vehicles available, the most luxurious one happened not to have that sporty option. Remember, Edmunds has this vehicle as a press loaner from BMW. They had to pick from whatever was in the pool.

You're probably right. They did get the popular "Get Off My Lawn" package, so there's that.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    edited May 2016

You're probably right. They did get the popular "Get Off My Lawn" package, so there's that.

Spot on. I know this will cause grinding teeth, but I suspect Edmunds are testing a car much nearer the spec of most actual buyers rather than the dreamers posting here.
  • Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    edited April 2017
    The M Sport wheel made a big difference for me. The steering wheel and instrument cluster are right in front of my face when I drive. Exterior styling doesn't matter as much. IMO a good steering wheel is a "must have." The manual gearing is too darn tall, makes the engine feel just a tad lazy. Previously the Mazda RX-8 R3 was my first and only manual car. That car had a very sharp clutch engagement and close gearing, which now I realize is not that common (at the level of the RX-8), even for sporty cars. If the BMW's manual is on par with the "average" sports sedan, then I don't really care for manual transmissions for my future cars. The Mazda's was fun. This one? Much less so.